Starting a medical degree 2006

Options
Dear all,

I'm about to start a degree in medicine in a couple of weeks. I'm a mature student (28) and have just completed a Ph.D in vascular physiology (well, the viva is on the same day as my enrolment for medical school).

Are there any other medical students out there that can offer me any advice? I'm clueless as to professional studies loans and haven't got a clue (still!) as to my finances (time has gone too fast this year!)

Any help/advice appreciated!

Comments

• DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    Hi AJ! What do you want to know? ;)

I hope you've got your drinking head on for Freshers! I will track you down. Mwhahahaaaa!
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • free_radical
    Options
    DrFluffy wrote:
    Hi AJ! What do you want to know? ;)

I hope you've got your drinking head on for Freshers! I will track you down. Mwhahahaaaa!

Can't wait to meet everyone on the 16th! My drinking head is always on!

If I transfer my account to HSBC from Barclays and arrange a loan do I have to pay a consultation fee? I'm sure someone mentioned somewhere that to take out a PSL they charge you something like £400! Eek!
  • DrFluffy
    Options
    I was only thinking of you this afternoon. Did you sort out work? Waterstones on Gower Street are looking for 'temporary book sellers' from now til Christmas... Might be the sort of thing you can get to fit with the year 1 timetable...

No idea about the £400 thing...
  • kingmonkey
    Options
    Buy second hand textbooks + try and use the library. In my first year I remember that the most popular books were not available when course work deadlines were approaching.

If you are going to buy new books (which you will) then try and buy in a group of friends and share.

Don't bother buying a skeleton.

Make your own sandwiches for lunchtime.

Thats all I can think of atm. In later years you might need a car depending on where your studying, but usually it will be possible to get a lift from someone.

Good luck.

PS I was never charged £400 for a PSL.
  • Kamran
    Kamran Posts: 477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hey dude, im at Kings, wat sorta advice were you looking for?
  • Kamran
    Kamran Posts: 477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yea yea, for sure u dont need a skeleton, just use essential clinical anatomy, thats all the anatomy u need. buy all ur books from years above, BUT try ur best to borrow from the library. uve done a medically related bsc so im thinkin u might be doing the fast track course? if you are, then u actually need to study, otherwise u can get away with dossing haha!

make use of freshers week, because they dish out a lot of info and stuff about discouts, and cheap gym memberships and stuff.
  • DrFluffy
    Options
    AJ - you don't need anything! All our medical libraries are well stocked, you certainly do not need a skeleton (although might desperately want one ;) ).

You will get a suggested reading list from the school - if not theres one on the school website (kb). As it says - you certainly do not need all of them, and do not need to buy the ones suggested (just cover the subject area).

IIRC (going back a little while now!), you will need to take a Clinical Medicine book to your first practical class - but again, you can use the library for this. That said, a copy of Kumar and Clark will come in useful, and if you could only afford one book, this is the one you will need for the course.

Otherwise, my advice is:
    1) catch up with your sleep - freshers will hurt! 18 year olds still think snakebite and black is a 'cool' drink ;) *shudders*
    2) start amassing a fancy dress collection - staples for the whole course are:
    a) toga
    b) nurses outfit
    c) school uniform
    d) beach wear
    3) just bring yourself and get ready for the most amazing time of your life. It will be a doddle after a normal BSc - trust me! And having done a doctorate the time management and self motivation needed will not be an issue either!

Huggles!

Fluffsxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills