PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping a list on how much spent

Options
I would like please to know the methods everyone finds easy to keep track of spending.

in the past i had a notebook and kept all recipts and when i got home i would sit down and write everything down. but i'm getting a bit forgetful at this. so sometimes i for get what i have bought but i check online banking and then get totals from there, but if i've spent cash then this don't work.

would i be better to keep a notebook in bag and write as i come out of a shop ? or shall i just try and train myself to rememeber.

all thoughts and ideas much welcomed.

as next month i am going to withdraw cash each week for shopping ( thanks to sarahsavers excellent advice ) i have a separate purse my hubby has bought me for this very job.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• magni
    magni Posts: 651 Forumite
    Options
    I keep a notebook in my bag and write is it as soon as possible after the spend. It seems to be working ok. I'm new to this and have been doing it for 5 weeks now. It's surprising how much money I can actually spend:eek:
    100 Day Pot £13
    £2 coin saver #205 £40 banked and £22
    Weekly Spend
    June NSD 9/10 DFW Nerd 54
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    i find that i need to write things down as soon as poss.. otherwise i will forget...

but i also find by writting things down... it makes you more aware of what you are spending.. and acts like a deterant.. so you dont buy those impluse buys...

hope that made sense... or is it only me that...by writting down what i spend.. stops me from spending as well:confused:
    Work to live= not live to work
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    yes i do also find that by writing down what i spent , makes me think before i spend again, as i don't wanna use up all my shopping budget .

i think i might use a nice small but handy notebook and keep it in my bag. and then each week/ or night transfer it into my household manual with more details.
  • V.Lucky
    V.Lucky Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    I have started this month too - just out of interest to see how much I do actually spend on shopping.

It has really made me aware of what I spend, went to Aldi on Fri for the shopping. They didn't have any tonic water (for my g&t lol), and I didn't want to go to Tesco and get some as I would be too tempted to spend more, so I have done without!! No g&t's all weekend for me.
    :hello:
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    I'm far less likely to go for an impulse buy if I know I have to write it down and be held accountable for it in my spending diary. :o
  • bud-miser
    Options
    Er... keep hold of your shop receipts...?

The supermarket ones are nearly all itemised these days.
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about a pocket mod? You adapt it to how you want, print it off and fold it up to a nice tiny note book.

You can have all sorts of variations on there.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • thriftmonster
    Options
    I have a little notebook in my handbag that I push the receipts into and then write them up each evening
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • irchy_mum
    Options
    magni wrote:
    It's surprising how much money I can actually spend:eek:

I've started keeping a notebook in my bag, and I have been spending waaaaayyyy too much-it's actually quite an eye opener.:rolleyes:
    Jo x:A
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Another vote for the pocket mod..... I keep it in the back of my purse (where the tenners used to be!!!) Now days its a pound coin and a switch card ..... I think I have every thing covered for emergancies and certainly no random buying!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure