PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preserve Icing Rose off Daughters 18th Cake

Options
Can anyone help. I would like to preserve the icing roses from my daughters 18th birthday cake.
Is this possible? If so, how would I do it?
Many thanks, for any advice
:wave:

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can do it with any great success at home, though VERY gentle oven drying may work. Otherwise, this google search page shows up companies that will preserve them for you:-

google preserve icing
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • CaptainSensible
    Options
    Providing they are the hard type of icing, they will keep well in a cool, dark, dry place. I would also recommend that you pack in paper and store in a cardboard box.

I have several from special cakes wrapped in kitchen paper inside old gift boxes at the back of my cupboard. They are still fine after 10 years.

CS.
  • Marsie
    Marsie Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Flowers from my sister's wedding cake have been inside a plasticy tube in a glass display cabinet for almost twenty years now, and are absolutely fine. No loss of colour or deterioration, and they were very beautifully and delicately made.

M.
    :D £2.00 coin savers club ... very full Terramundi smashed 6th October - £800 :D

Starting again with a big Millionaire's Fund tin :D
  • Hegarts
    Options
    I still have an icing decoration used for my youngest child's christening cake. It's a sleeping baby, so it's a fairly "solid" piece of icing, no frilly or fancy edges to get knocked off. I have mine in a tupperware box stored at the back of a cupboard and it's still fine 5 years on. I haven't done anything special to it. I looked at it only the other day and it brought back some lovely memories.
    If I was 7 ft 3, I'd be the right height for my weight :D
  • kessik
    kessik Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    I still have the icing baby from my daughter's christening cake too. It's just in the bottom of a gift bag with all of the cards and gift labels. She's 16 now and it's lasted all this time wrapped in a bit of kitchen roll. It's become very hard but not discoloured at all.

kessik
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport