PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

British Heart Foundation furniture donation query

I am hopefully going to be moving soon and have a quick question.

Does anyone know if the British Heart Foundation collect furniture donations in the evenings / at weekends or is it only 9 - 5 Monday to Friday? I know I could get this question answered by ringing them tomorrow but I'm hoping that someone here knows the answer.
Thanks, AW.

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In my limited experience of this fine bunch of people, much of the work is done by volunteers and I suspect your answer will depend on which shop.

Dunno if you've heard of "Google" but a swift use of same gave me this

http://www.bhf.org.uk/shop_with_bhf/our_shops/shopping/furniture_and_electrical.aspx

Cheers!

Lodger
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    About 2-3 weeks ahead of time, I arranged for a local charity shop to clear my house the day before completion (Monday exchange, Tuesday clear, Wednesday complete) ... they turned up and just said "can't take anything, the shop's completely full" and left! So there I was, the day before completion, alone, in a 6 bed house .... thinking .... shiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!
  • jockosjungle
    jockosjungle Posts: 759 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I did some volunteering with a furniture charity shop for Work Experience. Basically if they do not want your furniture they simply will not take it, leaving you stuck with it so it can be a problem if its not decent stuff, make sure you have a backup plan

R
  • aw69
    aw69 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks PasturesNew and jockosjungle for your words of caution, I'll bear in mind the need to have a plan B even if they do collect at the weekend. PasturesNew, I hope every thing turned out ok for you. Moving is stressful enough without someone dropping you in it at the last minute.
  • When I cleared my dad's house after he passed away last year I phoned the BHF and they were fab! They came and took everything I asked them to. Quite a few pieces of furniture my dad actually brought from them in the first place so I was glad to donate them back to such a worthy cause. The thing I would say if you are donating sofas, beds etc is that they have to have the flammable label still on them. I cant help on collection times though I am afraid cos they came during the week for me. Hope the move goes well :)
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    A few years ago I had a load of decent furniture which I didn't want and had two chartities come and take a look all who were very snotty and said it was not of good enough quality and didn't take any of it. So I sold it as a job lot on Ebay for £50 and kept the money.
    If your local council does a free bulk item collection I would let them take it all away. They will just ask you to leave it outside so it will be irrevelant when they collect it as you won't need to be in.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Neighbours
    Charity
    Freecycle

Always someone who'll have stuff
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income