GCH and Boiler Advice!

CL09
CL09 Posts: 14
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
Good Evening All,

New member here, just after some general advice and would appriciate any help anyone can give!

Me and my partner are just about to purchase our first home, a 3 bedroom semi with one bathroom. The house at the moment does not have gas but it is one of the first things we are wanting to get installed.

I'm just wanting opinions on what type of boilers people would recommend and the general cost of getting this installed along with 9 radiators. I have tried to research this myself but I'm getting confused between which is the better system (combi,standard or system boiler)

Many Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Welcome to the forum.

The first thing you need to establish is the cost of getting gas to the house; you might be shocked!!

The majority of people with one bathroom will opt for a combi. With this type of boiler you(usually) get rid of your Hot Water tank and the boiler heats the water directly. The disadvantage is that the flow is not great in very cold weather - especially for showers.

A standard or system boiler has a conventional hot water tank - usually in an airing cupboard.

Opinions vary on the 'best system' and it really boils down to personal preference.

Costs vary on the house and the specification required, so it is not possible to give a figure for costs - but £3,000 to £4,000 might be a ballpark figure.

Get some quotes.
  • are you near to the mains gas or are you rural based, if the latter then you will need a tank, they range from 2000ltrs up. to get mains if it is not nearby is horendus to get the supply due to cost.
    for lpg you will need to put either a concrete base for the tank or if underground you will need to dig a hole.
    the first will have to be 6mtrs away from the house and a trench will need to be dug 2ft deep with sand layed in the bottom the pipe which those who supply the tank will supply will need wrapping in yellow gas tape covered with sand and back field the tail by your house were yo want the supply to come in and the tank end will be fitted by the tank suppliers, you just need a lpg gas safe enginner to plumb it into your house.
    if you can afford to go down buying your own tank you are not at the beholding of the lpg companys to stay with them for a contract period.
    re boiler what i like about combis you do not have a tank or emersion, downside unless you get a boiler with a large output it will take ages to fill a bath. as previous posts find a good lpg engineer to work out how big a boiler you will need and with the amount of radiators if a combi will be able to run this plus shower,s and hot water the bigger units should.
    as for make Valiant,remeha viessmann, worcester are good makes.
    up to you what you chose.
    but as been said you are looking at 3 to 4k to install without the tank if that is the route you go down.
  • CL09
    CL09 Posts: 14
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cheers Guys for the quick response and info!

We are near a main gas supply, so have priced this up with Transco and they have quoted me £750..which I thought was quite reasonable for the work to be carried out.

The ballpark figures will help us greatly as we have a budget to work within, the house needs a lot of modernising and we didn't want to end up going in over heads!

Thanks once again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport