Worth pursuing?

Brief history.

Parents purchase a static home from a large leisure retailer. Retailer asks where static will be sited, told on a local site, retailer tells parents to purchase the static from them but through the owners of the site who they have an arrangement with. This meant that the static would not only be purchased but also the price parents would pay would include transport, insurance and siting fees etc.

Deal done. Static sited. All is well.

That is until we all noticed that the carpet in the living room area was discoloured.

What follows is 2 years of the retailer sending cleaning people in, phone calls, letters, emails etc. However, the discolouring is still there and has caused so much hassle my parents decided to recarpet.

I should say at this point that the static was brand new when purchased.

We spoke to the retailer about a new carpet and once again stated our case to why we were unhappy. We sent a letter to the manager who was very understanding, read parents file, said himself he could see there had been trouble for 2 years etc etc.

However, today he has called and said that there was no comeback on them as the static was purchased from the owners of the site and that our complaint was with them.

On the face of it I can see his point but surely by the retailer sending out a carpet cleaner twice and acknowledging letters and calls would be a sign of acceptance of liability? Would it not?

Even stranger is the manager has offered to replace the carpet at cost plus labour! Is this simply goodwill?

This is the first time in 2 years that anyone has suggested our complaints have been aimed at the wrong person.

I have found the Managing Director/Owners name and I am contemplating dropping him a line but would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• mazinmouse
    mazinmouse Posts: 240 Forumite
    How is the carpet discoloured? Is it faded? Does it look like watermarking (could be pile reversal) and what is the carpet made of?
    :A
  • Foggster
    Foggster Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    mazinmouse wrote: »
    How is the carpet discoloured? Is it faded? Does it look like watermarking (could be pile reversal) and what is the carpet made of?

I honestly dont know. If you can imagine a cream coloured carpet with grey marks in large patches (3ft x 2ft the largest). Close inspection really doesnt give us any clues. Initially it looked like a dirty water mark.

We have had so many people look at it I would say we would have realised if it had been a pile reversal. I am not sure what the carpet is made of but I cant see its going to be the best Berber or 100% wool in a static caravan. I would say its going to be a majority of polyester.

I am keen to find out if the supplier is indeed correct about it not being their liability.
  • mazinmouse
    mazinmouse Posts: 240 Forumite
    Wonder whether the cleaning process drawing something up, through from the back of the carpet?
    :A
  • Foggster
    Foggster Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    mazinmouse wrote: »
    Wonder whether the cleaning process drawing something up, through from the back of the carpet?

Possibly but until we take it up we wont know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure