We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
not sure what to do, purchase fallen through
michele-p
Posts: 881
Forumite
Hi all, I'm hoping just gettign this down in an email will help me, but I'm having a very hard time deciding what to do.
We put out house on the market a few months back, and got a buyer within 2 days, very lucky us. The buyer it turns out works with my husband, though we still need to pay estate agents fees as we didn't know he was looking and he spotted it on right move.
So this was probably 2 months ago now. In the meantime we have been lookign for our ideal property to buy. We've offered on a few, viewed so many and are thoroughly sick of houses. We found one we both loved about 3 weeks ago, and pulled out all the stops to hurry it along to catch up with our buyer.
Last week the seller even tried to push us along, saying that she was worried we'd not had the survey done, we were waiting for the results of our buyers survey, which he had done last week. So we paid for ours and got them to arrange it for later this week.
Monday afternoon I got a call from estate agent to say he had a letter from the seller, saying she had changed her mind and didn't want to sell. We offered a few thousand more, as she mentioned she wasn't too happy at the price we'd agreed on, but we can offer no more. She has still said no.
The predicament now is, do we let our sale go though, and move into rented, which we originally said we would, before we found out we have such a good existing mortgage which we can port. If we move to rented we can't keep the good mortgage, so will end up paying a lot more interest, and subsequently be able to afford to offer less.
There's not much on the market that appeals to us, and we find that sometimes we turn up to viewings with 4 or 5 other sets of people, as we are after something a little bit "different".
It's driving us mad, and we really don't know what to do now for the best. The same thing happened last time we tried to move about 4 years ago, so we just stayed put, but the house really is too small!
Sorry for the long post!
We put out house on the market a few months back, and got a buyer within 2 days, very lucky us. The buyer it turns out works with my husband, though we still need to pay estate agents fees as we didn't know he was looking and he spotted it on right move.
So this was probably 2 months ago now. In the meantime we have been lookign for our ideal property to buy. We've offered on a few, viewed so many and are thoroughly sick of houses. We found one we both loved about 3 weeks ago, and pulled out all the stops to hurry it along to catch up with our buyer.
Last week the seller even tried to push us along, saying that she was worried we'd not had the survey done, we were waiting for the results of our buyers survey, which he had done last week. So we paid for ours and got them to arrange it for later this week.
Monday afternoon I got a call from estate agent to say he had a letter from the seller, saying she had changed her mind and didn't want to sell. We offered a few thousand more, as she mentioned she wasn't too happy at the price we'd agreed on, but we can offer no more. She has still said no.
The predicament now is, do we let our sale go though, and move into rented, which we originally said we would, before we found out we have such a good existing mortgage which we can port. If we move to rented we can't keep the good mortgage, so will end up paying a lot more interest, and subsequently be able to afford to offer less.
There's not much on the market that appeals to us, and we find that sometimes we turn up to viewings with 4 or 5 other sets of people, as we are after something a little bit "different".
It's driving us mad, and we really don't know what to do now for the best. The same thing happened last time we tried to move about 4 years ago, so we just stayed put, but the house really is too small!
Sorry for the long post!
0
Comments
-
You've only got 2 choices.
Proceed and go into rented accommodation at the risk of your mortgage offer.
Or stall the buyer and hope they don't pull out and hope that the market doesn't tank due to a double dip recession which means you are stuck if you do find a property that you like.
Which risk do you have the most appetite for?
A few days ago, there was a post here from someone who had a buyer who lost patience with their reluctance to move into rented accommodation because they could not find a new property to buy, their buyer pulled out.0 -
If it was me - I'd let the sale go through and end up paying the extra interest. If the house really is too small for you - you are better off not risking losing the buyer. Also when you do find the property you love you will be in a great position and will be able to beat off some of the competition and possibly offer a lower price because of your situation.0
-
Thanks for the quick replies, it does help to get it all down. One thing we did consider was offering to pay our buyers rent for a month while we try to find something else. The thought of moving twice isn't appealing, plus I work from home, and would possibly have to find an office to use in the short term if the internet isn't on in rented place straight away.0
-
I'd just tell the buyer what has happened and see what they say - do they want to push you along and out of your house or are they a bit more relaxed about it all? You don't want to move to rented if you don't have to, perhaps you could agree a timescale within which you need to find a new place - it's not your fault that your vendor has pulled out after all.
When you're honest with people you'll find that they are more accommodating than you might think.Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
0 -
It may also be worth talkingto the mortgage provider to see if they will hold your current deal for a few months if you cannot go straight into a new house. I managed to do that but it was a good few years ago so things may have changed by now!Credit card debt - NIL
Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 20360 -
Firstly see if your buyers will give you more time, if they wont and you have allready said you would go in to rented, then speak to your mortgage company a lot of them will hold your mortgage deal for six mths, for you to port over.
BB etc can be sorted, there are mobile dongles, wifi, nice neighbours, libarys etc.Pawpurrs x
0 -
do we let our sale go though, and move into rented, which we originally said we would,
Certainly ask the buyer first if they mind hanging on a bit longer but if they do mind then there's little choice really. If you said you would go into rented then obviously you should unless there are some exceptional change in circumstances (the low mortgage rate doesn't count!)
It may be an old fashioned approach for people to keep to their promises but the world would be a much nicer place if more people did. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around.
On a practical note, several years ago my partner and I were in a similar situation. We moved out of our old house for three months to secure our dream home but instead of renting we stayed with different family and friends a month at a time.
There were obvious compromises in our lifestyle for three months but in the big scheme of things it flew by and was easily the best housing decision we've ever made.
P.S. You said you "pulled out all the stops to hurry it" but then also said you delayed getting a survey done. There's a bit of a contradiction there and it sounds to me like this was a factor in you losing the house you both loved, something to think about for next time.Every generation blames the one before...
Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.7K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
