Changes Query

Options
On the 14th June,my husband and i seperated,he moved out leaving me and my daughters in the family home.
I ring tax credit helpline on that day,and told them i would now be claiming single benefit.
I was told the joint would stop,and a new claim would start.
2 days later i recieved a letter saying there had been an overpayment on the joint claim of £350,and id recieve a letter regarding how i was going to pay the overpayment.
seeing i told them on the day,is the overpayment my fault and will i have to pay it?if so can i do it in installments?

Regarding my single claim,ive heard nothing,it will be 3 weeks on monday,ive not rung them since,as i found them not very helpfull on the help line,its and emotionally,financial worrying time for me,i work 22 hours,and im struggling,i know it will be backpaid,but any idea how long it can take up to?

your advice would be great thanks in advance
Dawn

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    it will be backdated to the day of your claim.

isn't your husband giving you maintenancw? if not get onto the c s a. i would also assume that any over payment is his responsibility also, so ask him for it!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dawny_D wrote: »
    On the 14th June,my husband and i seperated,he moved out leaving me and my daughters in the family home.
    I ring tax credit helpline on that day,and told them i would now be claiming single benefit.
    I was told the joint would stop,and a new claim would start.
    2 days later i recieved a letter saying there had been an overpayment on the joint claim of £350,and id recieve a letter regarding how i was going to pay the overpayment.
    seeing i told them on the day,is the overpayment my fault and will i have to pay it?if so can i do it in installments?

Regarding my single claim,ive heard nothing,it will be 3 weeks on monday,ive not rung them since,as i found them not very helpfull on the help line,its and emotionally,financial worrying time for me,i work 22 hours,and im struggling,i know it will be backpaid,but any idea how long it can take up to?

your advice would be great thanks in advance
    Dawn

The overpayment on the joint claim could be for some other reason or it could be that the last payment you received was to pay up to a date after the separation. They will have sent a similar request for payment to your ex if they have his address.

When you were on the phone with TCO did they put a new single claim on the system for you or have they to send a new claim pack out. If it is the latter I would contact them and chase them up.
  • Dawny_D
    Dawny_D Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    They put it on the system there and then.
    they have contacted my ex too,but we are still waiting for the letter that will tell us how they want paying,he will pay his share.

I asked him to leave and as he is on a low wage,he cant help me at the moment,he could of made me put the house on the market,but has said i can stay here till youngest is 18.
    so i dont expect him to help at the moment.

maybe i should give tax credits a follow up,but getting through is also difficult,and some people say it can take up to a month

Thanks for your replies
    Dawn
  • Telfordstar
    Telfordstar Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    I was under the impression that if you weent from a joint claim to a single payments didnt stop!
  • Dawny_D
    Dawny_D Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Yes,apparently joint claim stops.
    and a new single claim is started,i did chase it up today,and for a change got a friendly man.
    Was told they couldent identify my eldes daughter they had her birthdate as 3/12/95 where infact it is 3/12/96.
    a letter has been sent to me and i now have to send her birth certificate,then my claim will be processed,but no idea if it will take a further 3 weeks?

Dawn
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport