Financial Settlement

Options
Hoping for a bit of peace of mind here. I have seperated from OH and we will be divorcing some way down the line. I am the major wage earner and our son will be living with me. For various reasons I will be seeking financial separation from OH and because Mum and I have stumbled across our dream house (with annexe for mum!) I am looking to move. House sale needs to be quick vendors want 28 day turnaround. I will be taking out buy to let mortgage on existing house and new mortgage on new house, Mum will pay the rest.

I need to sort this financial separation out ASAP, OH has agreed a small sum (6 year marriage, I owned house before we met, he has paid me nothing for 4 years, he did look after DS when he was born but only because we were both out of work and it made sense for me to get a job as I earn 3x his money - I have also paid off his boozing debts repeatedly - and kept evidence). He is keen to get the sum into his hands (read into the pub, loan shark, capital 1) by the end of the week, I am keed to get the legal work signed first. Do you think it would be possible to find a solicitor and get this drawn up immediately or in a few days? I presume they really only need to have the right files merged and typed.

Or is this going to be one of those jobs a legal person will take forever over?
The best things in life are NOT free - but they sure are cheaper with MSE!:j

Comments

• hells_2
    hells_2 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    You need to get divorced first and sort the financials out later, otherwise the court might decide differently in either of your favour, so you could be worse or even better off without knowing it. Sod him! Let the court decide who gets what and make him wait! Only other feasible way to do it is to get a solicitor to draw up a deed of separation now, agreeing who gets what and then get divorced later, but I'm not sure how legal and binding it remains as part of a divorce.

I saw a solicitor just over a week ago about divorce, within 7 days the petition was typed up and arrived for me to sign, so things can move as quickly as you want them to as long as you get a good solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure