Debt Collection for parking ticket which was not ours

Hello,

I hope I am posting in the right section.

Yesterday I received a letter from a debt collector (RoxBurghe) stating that they have been passed on a debt from an alledged parking ticket from a private firm (Excel Parking). And I am looking for some advice regarding this.

I bit of history about this, the parking ticket was given on my partners car all the way back in November 2009. She was not the driver of the car as she lends it to a family member when shes at work in the day. We didnt even know about the ticket until we got a final warning from the parking company asking for £100.

After searching for advice on this site, we wrote a letter to the company stating that, my partner was not driving her car at the time, so she can not be liable for this fine as no contract could have been formed with her when she entered the car park (remember this is a private car park and not a council one), also that we would not name the person who was driving as we were under no legal obligation to do so.

We received a letter back stating that they aknowledge that my partner was not driving the car, however to provide details of the driver or they would persue my partner for the fine, we then sent another letter with the same info (partner not driving car, not telling who was driving and that we are not liable.)

This was the last we heard from them, however yesterday my partner received a demand for payment from Roxburghe debt collection for the amount of £141 and that they will take legal action if we do not pay.

My partner had a panic attack and nearly started paying it, I told her not too until I got some advice, so what do you think we should do? Money is extremely tight as we are saving for a house, also my partner is worried if we will get a mark on our credit record if we do not pay, which will affect us getting a morgage. There is no way of getting the person that was driving to pay because they are a student and stuggles as it is.

Any advice would be of great help as it will ease my partners mind and we can then go further to stop this.

Replies

• edited 30 June 2010 at 10:17AM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2010 at 10:17AM
    Ignore it all and stop panicking about this con. :)

PPC tickets are unenforceable whether you have supposedly overstayed/contravened one of their made-up 'rules', or not. I got a private parking ticket last year and the driver of my car overstayed by about 2 hours - but of course we didn't pay the scammers, how would that have helped the situation? The car park was almost empty and we had shopped in the Supermarket in question - even though you don't actually have to shop there to park there - so no loss occurred. :D

There's tons on the internet about this issue, look for forum posts on here, pepipoo.com, consumer action group, all of which will tell you that such tickets are unenforceable trash.

Watchdog covered this last month, and their legal bod helpfully confirmed just what we tell everyone to do with fake parking tickets (whether you have 'contravened their rules' or not). Pleeeeease tell your partner to watch this:

:T:rotfl:

The registered keeper will receive a few more debt collector letters telling you to pay. Did you not notice, have another look at the letter - it says 'we MAY take legal action' (not 'we will' - because they won't!). It's just scare tactics and it nearly worked on your OH didn't it?

Do not panic, do not believe the lies on the letters about Court/CCJs/dire consequences! See examples here of what to ignore, Roxburghe and Graham White is the letter-chain you want to look at, it's funny when you then receive the real letters and can just tick them off the list and laugh at them. This thread has pictures of the exact standard letters so you can see them here first, do click on the links to all the letters. After the final letter nothing happens, the end:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=2214803

Relax, even when you get more letters from a so-called Solicitor, Graham White (as per our examples, we can predict you'll get the same and that firm doesn't ever 'do' Court). I have ignored a private parking fine, it was frankly amusing (because I knew they are con-merchants) and I would do so again to wind them up.

Some people deliberately park again and again trying to collect private tickets, to cause the scammers to spend money pointlessly! Someone on pepipoo has ignored over 200 private parking tickets and nothing has happened of course, ignoring their pretty-coloured letters is like ignoring phishing emails (same sort of scam).

But to be proactive, if the scam letters get tiresome you may like to also report the company and their debt collectors for harassment:

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/en...=03_harassment

But don't forget this is NOT a debt, NOT a fine, just a mickey mouse ticket. Nothing happens, your credit record is NOT affected because there is no valid/lawful debt, no credit agreement to have fallen foul of. So don't fall for this con.

Be angry about their illegal scary letters, tell your OH and spread the word.

NEVER PAY A PRIVATE PARKING TICKET. YOU OWE NOTHING.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Please follow the advice above, I came to this forum seeking advice after getting what I thought was a parking ticket, they are not tickets but invoices! Today I got another one in sainsbury for parking over the lines, how legitimate companies like them use scammers to try to fleece you out of money is a disgrace, I spent £145 today in their shop, they have just lost me as a customer because of this scam, I have written to their head office to say so. I would suggest that instead of contacting the scammers write to the businesses instead, they will take notice if thousands of people do so.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • edited 30 June 2010 at 6:13PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2010 at 6:13PM
    taffy056 wrote: »
    Please follow the advice above, I came to this forum seeking advice after getting what I thought was a parking ticket, they are not tickets but invoices! Today I got another one in sainsbury for parking over the lines, how legitimate companies like them use scammers to try to fleece you out of money is a disgrace, I spent £145 today in their shop, they have just lost me as a customer because of this scam, I have written to their head office to say so. I would suggest that instead of contacting the scammers write to the businesses instead, they will take notice if thousands of people do so.

Well done taffy, I like your style!

Bet you almost laughed when you saw the fake ticket this time?

I also wrote to Sainsbury's Head Office and spoke with the local Store Manager here, pointing out that they are letting a scam industry, akin to a protection racket, take place on their doorstep.

I also objected to Sainsburys' own rubbishy leaflet which proclaims:

'DISABLED AND PARENT & CHILD BAYS - fine if you qualify, £50 fine if you don't'

What a truly HILARIOUS play on words (not).

The HO never bothered to reply (I was completely polite in my letter BTW, pointing out the unenforceability of parking charges and that they cannot issue 'fines'). The Store Manager was utterly clueless, he really believed they were real fines!

So I got my own back quietly. I picked up and threw in their own bins the entire pile of these leaflets every time I visited. Lots and lots of times, once right under the nose of their Security Guard!:cool:

My local Sainsburys doesn't have these leaflets now but I keep looking for them. They do still use Euro Car Parks though, one day I will get another ticket, I have tried hard! :D
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Yeah I just laughed at it now as I am aware of the scam, but honestly frightening your customers into paying a ticket otherwise threatening them with the possibility that they could get CCJ's against them , is truly a dispictible thing to do to people shopping at their store, if people were to pay these invoices they will have less to spend at the shops, its self defeating!

Better if they were pro-active with it, for example if you were parked in a disabled bay without displaying a badge, for someone to go and explain to them politely if they could display one, if they don't have a badge, ask them if they don't mind not parking there in future as its meant for people who are disabled, okay I know that these bays mean nothing on private land, but it means that they the shop are trying to be diplomatic, and not having scammers trying to rip people off, I don't think they would lose customers by someone asking nicely not to park there.

One thing that might be good is if MSE or someone would put up on the website a standard letter to send to these companies who allow scammers to operate on their land, deliberately going out trying to fleece customers out of money, today sainsbury has lost about £7500 a year I spend at their shop and petrol station, all because I crossed some damned line in a hurry.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • 2bFrank2bFrank Forumite
    324 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much for your help, I will show my partner this tonight, hopefully this will ease her mind. I cannot think you enough
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides