shares isa plummiting

Options
This year I opened a virgin stocks & shares isa with £5100.
In some 3 months it has decreased by almost £1000,
should I pull out this early or stick with it,
probably the wrong time to open at all I think.

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    presumably you were investing for 5 or more years
    so wait and see
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is very common with stocks & shares which are prone to market fluctuations. Bear in mind that you haven't actually lost any money yet, but if you cash it in you certainly will. You need a longer-term view. Many collective investments (i.e. unit/investment trusts, OEICs) achieve more growth via reinvested dividends than capital appreciation, so again, you're looking at the longer-term.
    If the paper loss really bothers you, try to restrain yourself to checking prices every few months rather than every day!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This year I opened a virgin stocks & shares isa with £5100.

Virgin only offer three funds. Two are medium/high risk (typically above the risk profile of the average new investor). They are actually a pretty poor quality ISA manager. Neither cheap or a quality offering.

So, what made you choose to invest in higher risk funds rather than lower risk funds?
    probably the wrong time to open at all I think.

No. That is what medium/high risk investments do. They go up and down in the short term but you leave them for at least 5-10 years plus to average out those ups and downs.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure