Too Hot! Is it expensive to run electric fans?

Options
ih8stress
ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 11 July 2018 at 11:52AM in Energy
MoneySavingExpert.com update July 2018

For tips to keep cool in the heat read our story:

£1 sun cream, cheap fans... and put your duvet in the freezer: 16 MoneySaving tips to beat the heat

---

Are electric fans expensive to run? I get too hot in this weather but am loathe to use a fan without knowing the running costs involved as I have to watch the pennies:)

Please don't blind me with science or mathematics - I just need to know the basics if possible, thanks:D

Comments

• totalsolutions
    totalsolutions Posts: 3,110 Forumite
    Options
    Cheap as chips
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to know whats watt, look on the rating plate on your fan, it will say something like 50 watts, same as a light bulb ( well an old one). Costs about 20p to run 24hours.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • ih8stress
    Options
    Thank you for the quick replies, totalsolutions and penrhyn.:T I've checked and it says 35 watts.

At least I won't get hot and bothered about the cost now:D
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes electric cold air fans are indeed cheap to run. Fan heaters on the other hand are the complete opposite. They are typically rated 2 or 3KW so can be up to 70 or 80 times more expensive; so watch out you don't use them too much during the colder seasons.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Options
    Yes but no but only if you turn on the heating element, most fan heaters have a cold setting.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Hadrian
    Hadrian Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Look on the base. My fan says 22watts, nothing really. All elec appliances have the wattage on them My 36" TV uses 210 watts, the tiddler TV 37 watts. The heaviest users by far are - kettles 2000/3000 watts! Vacuum cleaners - 1800/2200, irons, ovens and as 'they' say the fridge freezers. Nothing much you can do about the later but be aware of the rest. By the way can anyone suggest a way to inform my wife that to completely fill up the kettle each time she wants a cup of tea is a waste of money!
  • muffin_man_7
    muffin_man_7 Posts: 784 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hadrian have you tried telling her that her cuppa will taste better if water boiled fresh also she will get her lovely cuppa faster if the kettle has less in it it will boil faster that worked with my kids fastest was the key h t h
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • cjard
    cjard Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Hadrian wrote: »
    can anyone suggest a way to inform my wife that to completely fill up the kettle each time she wants a cup of tea is a waste of money!

Buy a heat-as-it-goes kettle?
  • Parchester
    Parchester Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Your 35W fan will cost 0.35p per hour to run (based on electricity at 10p per unit), i.e. you can use it for 3 hours and it will only cost you a penny!
  • ih8stress
    Options
    Had to look twice then, parchester - thought you meant 35p an hour at first:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure