Previously returned Laptop sold to me as new.

Options
pmd0002
pmd0002 Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 29 June 2010 at 8:39PM in Consumer rights
Hi

I was hoping that someone could help me with this situation.

I bought a netbook from a local retailer in November 2009. Two days ago the power adapter stopped working. I went to the manufacturers website to check if my warranty was still valid. When I put the serial number of the laptop in, the website retrieved all the information about it but the purchase date was showen as JUNE 2009.

From this I infer that the laptop had been previouly sold and returned, then sold on to me. I have my original box and receipt.

I am going to call the manufacturer tomorrow to confirm all this and had planned to go back to the retailer to give them hell.

How should I approach this situation?

Comments

• globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Options
    I don't get what you are saying ?

Are you saying you have had the laptop for 9 months and the web site tells you it was bought this month ?..So you have an extra 9 months warranty?
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    globalds wrote: »
    I don't get what you are saying ?

Are you saying you have had the laptop for 9 months and the web site tells you it was bought this month ?..So you have an extra 9 months warranty?

i was thinking that! wouldnt that be a good thing???
  • pmd0002
    Options
    i was thinking that! wouldnt that be a good thing???

Whoops....Sorry

Yes that would make sense.

CORRECTION: The manufacturers website said it had been purchased JUNE 2009 rather than the actual date of NOVEMBER 2009.
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure it's not just the case that it was manufactured in June 2009?
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pmd0002 wrote: »
    I am going to call the manufacturer tomorrow to confirm all this and had planned to go back to the retailer to give them hell.

To be fair the retailer may have no knowledge that it was returned to the manufacturer and recycled as a new product, if ineed this is what's happened. Instead of "giving them hell", try to stay calm and reasonable and you may get what you want without any hassle.
  • pmd0002
    Options
    Esqui wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not just the case that it was manufactured in June 2009?

Yes I am sure. I read it with my eyes.
  • pmd0002
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    To be fair the retailer may have no knowledge that it was returned to the manufacturer and recycled as a new product, if ineed this is what's happened. Instead of "giving them hell", try to stay calm and reasonable and you may get what you want without any hassle.

No. What I believe has happened is that it was returned to the retailer NOT the manufacturer.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    From this I infer that the laptop had been previouly sold and returned, then sold on to me. I have my original box and receipt.

Just don't do anything.

Clearly after all these months you're happy with it other than the power supply, who cares if it's been returned?

Or are you hoping for a new one if you make enough fuss?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • pmd0002
    Options
    Just don't do anything.

Clearly after all these months you're happy with it other than the power supply, who cares if it's been returned?

Or are you hoping for a new one if you make enough fuss?

I was sold a second hand laptop as new. The warranty has expired prematurely and the already used power supply has developed a fault meaning I can't use the laptop. It's the principle and the inconvenience.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    I was sold a second hand laptop as new. The warranty has expired prematurely and the already used power supply has developed a fault meaning I can't use the laptop. It's the principle and the inconvenience.

It was a new one someone had returned (possibly).

Should all things returned in pristine condition be dumped?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family