New Post Advanced Search

The potting shed

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
106 replies 6K views
pickledtinkpickledtink Forumite
592 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
This thread is for avid gardeners to exchange info on gardening.

Problems, pests, diseases, growing Fruit, Veg and Flowers. Ask advice from other MMS gardeners and generally have a natter about all things green fingered.

Posts relating to gardening bargains and freebies belong in the other thread 'Garden Bargains'

For starters:

How did this Summers ( ongoing) crazy weather affect your garden particularly the veg growers?
I had some amazing success with aubergines / peppers/ chillis/cucumbers all grown outdoors.

Other things were a struggle and clearly needed water.
Some failed miserably. Few tomatoes and lots of blossom end rot and greenback.
3 lots of peas refused to germinate. Squashes never got going until the rains came and are now huge but covered in mildew.
Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.

Replies

• Like you I have grown a lot of tomatoes, indoors and outdoors. The cherry ones are very popular with OH and son but I prefer the large ones. I have been surprised how easy peppers are - pity no one likes them much. I grew rocket for my daughter, gave her the big tub with all those lovely leaves and she didn't eat it. What a waste! Had one lot of string beans but the reast seem to have been eaten by something. Otherwise the garden is looking very green indeed. We hated the excessive heat but loath the now continuous rain. I'll try the aubergines as I quite like Mousaka.
  • Jake'sGran wrote:
    Like you I have grown a lot of tomatoes, indoors and outdoors. The cherry ones are very popular with OH and son but I prefer the large ones. I have been surprised how easy peppers are - pity no one likes them much. I grew rocket for my daughter, gave her the big tub with all those lovely leaves and she didn't eat it. What a waste! Had one lot of string beans but the reast seem to have been eaten by something. Otherwise the garden is looking very green indeed. We hated the excessive heat but loath the now continuous rain. I'll try the aubergines as I quite like Mousaka.

Lucky you. My tomatoes are usually pretty good even though i only grow outside but this year they were lousy. The extreme heat and hose pipe ban stressed them and now what I do have isn't ripening because there's no Sun.:rolleyes:

didn't eat her greens!? Tut tut.
    Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.
  • I didn't try outdoor tomatoes but the ones in the greenhouse have been really good.. as mentioned on Gardener's World on Friday, no sign of a glut as we had such long bouts of sunshine. I managed to fix up a drip system so they had regular water supplies. As for outside, the dahlias that I got as an afterthought from Netto ( can't remember the price but they were really cheap) have been fantastic! Will be looking out for them again this year. Not too sure whether to lift them for the winter, what do you do? I got a lot of their D.T.Brown seeds too, and worried a bit at the time because at 19p they seemed too good to be true, but everything has come up very well.
    Maureen
  • MaureenHB wrote:
    I didn't try outdoor tomatoes but the ones in the greenhouse have been really good.. as mentioned on Gardener's World on Friday, no sign of a glut as we had such long bouts of sunshine. I managed to fix up a drip system so they had regular water supplies. As for outside, the dahlias that I got as an afterthought from Netto ( can't remember the price but they were really cheap) have been fantastic! Will be looking out for them again this year. Not too sure whether to lift them for the winter, what do you do? I got a lot of their D.T.Brown seeds too, and worried a bit at the time because at 19p they seemed too good to be true, but everything has come up very well.

The tomatoes I grew are not meant to be outdoors ones but I just sowed too many seeds and couldn't bring myself to throw them away so some had to be left outside. We didn't have a hose pipe ban here (NW).

Re the dahlias; last year I grew "BishopsChildren". These are singles and,
    once again, I grew too many. Because of this I left some in the ground and one is about 5ft tall at the moment. Today we were discussing getting rid of it because because of the amount of space it is taking up and there is just too much leaf. I will try Netto for plants and seeds. They sell tinned peaches for about 14p which I buy regularly and they are very soft, almost as good as well known makes except for the odd bit of kernel.
  • MaureenHB wrote:
    I didn't try outdoor tomatoes but the ones in the greenhouse have been really good.. as mentioned on Gardener's World on Friday, no sign of a glut as we had such long bouts of sunshine. I managed to fix up a drip system so they had regular water supplies. As for outside, the dahlias that I got as an afterthought from Netto ( can't remember the price but they were really cheap) have been fantastic! Will be looking out for them again this year. Not too sure whether to lift them for the winter, what do you do? I got a lot of their D.T.Brown seeds too, and worried a bit at the time because at 19p they seemed too good to be true, but everything has come up very well.

What was your drip system? was it one of those which comes complete or did you rig something up Blue Peter style?
    I've bought one of those small polytunnels but can't figure out how you're supposed to water them.:o
  • We have been lucky this year.

We built some raised veg borders as the trees surrounding the walls in the garden make it impossible to dig at the bottom of the garden. These were eventually finished in June (although one was in place for March) and filled with imported topsoil which wasn't as good a quality as it could have been so we weren't holding out much hope. However, we have managed to harvest - tomatoes from two plants bought last minute at the garden centre, red and white onions from seed, aubergines from a plant bought also last minute at a garden centre, spinach, lollo rosso, mizuna, rocket, radishes, baby cos lettuce and mixed chinese leaves - grown from seed. We have also had chilis and peppers grown outside - bit small but otherwise fine. Herbs have done really well.

The shallots which I had grown in a container got absolutely drowned when we had heavy rainfall early August and rotted off which was a shame as they were doing so well!

Very few of the above suffered for the dry weather - we watered 1-2 times a week with the watering can where required.

The runner beans have been really slow this year - we haven't yet harvested any!

We have beetroot and carrots waiting to be harvested - bit slower than I would have expected to grow, but looks like they will be ready within a couple of weeks.

We have just added some rotted manure and garden compost into one of the beds and have now planted spring onions, savoy and peas ready for late winter/early spring.

Elsewhere in the garden, nothing seems to have suffered for the reduced rainfall and heat and most of the garden was planted this year, although the hanging baskets have been a complete disaster and no amount of watering seems to have had much effect!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • We have been lucky this year.

We built some raised veg borders as the trees surrounding the walls in the garden make it impossible to dig at the bottom of the garden. These were eventually finished in June (although one was in place for March) and filled with imported topsoil which wasn't as good a quality as it could have been so we weren't holding out much hope. However, we have managed to harvest - tomatoes from two plants bought last minute at the garden centre, red and white onions from seed, aubergines from a plant bought also last minute at a garden centre, spinach, lollo rosso, mizuna, rocket, radishes, baby cos lettuce and mixed chinese leaves - grown from seed. We have also had chilis and peppers grown outside - bit small but otherwise fine. Herbs have done really well.

The shallots which I had grown in a container got absolutely drowned when we had heavy rainfall early August and rotted off which was a shame as they were doing so well!

Very few of the above suffered for the dry weather - we watered 1-2 times a week with the watering can where required.

The runner beans have been really slow this year - we haven't yet harvested any!

We have beetroot and carrots waiting to be harvested - bit slower than I would have expected to grow, but looks like they will be ready within a couple of weeks.

We have just added some rotted manure and garden compost into one of the beds and have now planted spring onions, savoy and peas ready for late winter/early spring.

Elsewhere in the garden, nothing seems to have suffered for the reduced rainfall and heat and most of the garden was planted this year, although the hanging baskets have been a complete disaster and no amount of watering seems to have had much effect!

Sounds like you've done pretty well for a late start! have you got a compost heap/bin?
    My own compost really makes a difference I must say. A spadefull of the old black magic always gets things moving as a top dressing and is great to get new sowings started in pots.
    I love fish, blood and bone as a feed for any veg bed and it's excellent forked into the soil loosely before planting.

Shame about your shallots! What size containers were they in?
  • OH, Sorry angelavdavis to hear your hanging baskets have been a disaster,
    mine have been fantastic this year, apart from Saturday when the wind sent them quite giddy, had to take them down overnight to give them a rest. they look lovley again today, I feed them every three days with tomato feed.
    My grass was terrible a few weeks ago, never seen it looking so tatty and almost dead with all the sun and heat, We are on a water meter so I could not water it often, but I gave it a good rake all over and feed it with Asda's own brand of lawn food, and it now looks great, and really thick and lush and no weeds.
    Rest of garden doing fine all my plants, most I did myself from seeds are still looking good, and I'm very proud of them still got, marigolds,buzy lizzies,
    asters,bergonias,cornflower. taggetts, and 3ft long Surfina's.and lovley rudbeckias which will last untill the frost kills them, they are beautiful. :) all lovley rustic shades.
  • hazeyjhazeyj Forumite
    391 posts
    Ive just bought some tomato and spring onion and rocket seeds. can anyone give me a tip on the best time to sow etc? Thank you!!
    I love this site :beer:
  • Spring onion and Rocket sow now
    Tomatoes'll have to wait till next year unfortunately. If you sow them indoors in early March you can transplant them outside late April.
    Depends where you are in the country as to when the first frost falls. Where are you?
    Things you can still sow now are: cut and come again mixed salad leaves. Perpetual Spinach, Radishes ( which you can eat the leaves from as well and they are gorgeous), Kale, garlic ( can just use a supermarket one) onions.
    Also lots of things for harvesting next spring and you can get seedling plants from online nurseries for cabbage , Broccolli etc.
    All of these can be grown in containers and herbs in baskets like basil, coriander which can be sown now. Thyme, parsley, chives will still take if you get some young plants now and plant up.
    I've got masses of seeds and am happy to send you some which you can get going with. Just PM me your postal.
    Another gardening forum I'm on we all rallied round as one member had her entire veg patch broken into by sheep. She lost al her hard earned veg so we're all sending anything which can be sown now to fill up that empty space.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support