Diverting VoIP to mobile phone

Options
Hi - I want to get a SIP/VoIP line for my business and will have a hardphone at home for this. I want to be able to divert calls to my mobile for when I'm out or on holiday.

I understand that you can get VoIP on your mobile phone - apparently some Nokia's have them built in and there seem to be apps like Fring that make this possible too.

Following the premise that VoIP to VoIP calls are free, can I divert my VoIP no. to my number for free too? If so, will it work on 3G or only where there's wifi and if so, what happens to the call?

This VoIP business looks fantastic but is very confusing!

Comments

• Mark_In_Hampshire
    Options
    I think most mobile operators block VOIP protocols. I wondered about this, as it would be possible to get a cheap PAYG with internet access, then make unlimited calls from anywhere via VOIP :)

I installed Fring on my Windows based mobile but I could never get it to work.

VOIP can work at very low connection speeds (28k in both directions for Skype) but I'd have thought you'd need a 3G HSDPA signal for decent quality - we use Sipgate over our Three 3G connection (not a mobile, a dongle) and that uses 128kbps in both directions which the connection can do fine, but that's with the dongle static and in a good coverage area.

I do have our Sipgate landline number set to "try" my mobile if unanswered, but that's a call divert not over VOIP as such and costs me 9.9ppm if someone calls the landline and reaches me on my mobile.

However if you can get your original premise to work with something like Fring, I'd be very interested in knowing :-)
  • gavinp
    gavinp Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    - we use Sipgate over our Three 3G connection (not a mobile, a dongle) and that uses 128kbps in both directions..

It would be worth looking at which codec you are using with Sipgate as they support lots of different ones - some of which work well at lower bandwidth - G.729, iLBC and GSM.

My in-laws live in Spain where broadband is expensive in comparison to the UK and they only have a 2Gb download limit so they use G.729 to minimise the amount of bandwidth used for their Sipgate calls.

Thanks

Gavin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family