We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Which potaoes can I sow now?

Options
zoescrims
zoescrims Posts: 2,865 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 28 June 2010 at 11:12PM in Gardening
Can I sow any potatoes now for the winter?? also I had some earlies/second

leftover would it be okay to sow them? I think they were vales/emeralds?

Thanks!
2020 Jan: storage box,£150 pots & pans, £50 restaurant voucher,dining experience,19 tubes of Pringles Feb: £50 food giftcard,

Comments

• serena
    serena Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    Options
    You can try putting them in. They'll certainly grow.

The problem however is that late planted potatoes are likely to get blight - a fungal disease that is very easily spread in hot, humid weather that is common in August. The potatoes show brown patches on the leaves, and die back, and the tubers rot - as in the Irish Famine.

I cannot remember if there is any spray that amateur gardeners can still use - but even then, you need to spot the conditions in which blight may occur and spray then as a preventive. Farmers get a special blight warning forecast!

I have to say I no longer grow late planted potatoes, and I've pretty much given up on outdoor tomatoes for the same reason.
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone can use the blight watch warnings, you just have to sign up online.

I haven't grown late potatoes, but I suspect if you could keep them out of the rain, that would help greatly, you could still get blight though.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Rosebud24
    Rosebud24 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I have used a spray on my potatoes that I got from the garden centre. I think it's bordeaux solution. The solution and the packaging are both blue, if that helps! You can use it for tomatoes, potatoes, clematis (to protect against clematis wilt) and others, as it is an anti-fungal spray.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rosebud24 wrote: »
    I have used a spray on my potatoes that I got from the garden centre. I think it's bordeaux solution. The solution and the packaging are both blue, if that helps! You can use it for tomatoes, potatoes, clematis (to protect against clematis wilt) and others, as it is an anti-fungal spray.

You can also get some powder stuff in a red box that you can use on tomatoes and potatoes. I had to use it last year to save the massive crop of tomatoes I grew.

It worked. My SIL and I were giving them away to everyone we could find.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want to grow for Christmas, better to leave planting until early-mid August. Make sure you protect from frost though.
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    Bordeaux Mixture is for blight protection but you do need to do it before the blight appears or you won't save the plants. With potatoes I grow no later than scond earlies so I lift them before the main blight comes. They last me for months so I don't need maincrop.

I will be planting in September for Christmas new pots this year. Probably kestrel as it has great slug restistance. hths.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • zoescrims
    zoescrims Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you all ,advice appreciated .I've got a few months to think about it at least.
    2020 Jan: storage box,£150 pots & pans, £50 restaurant voucher,dining experience,19 tubes of Pringles Feb: £50 food giftcard,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure