We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Burglar Alarm Recommendations

Hi,

I am having my house gutted at the moment and would like to install a burglar alarm system.

I have rang a couple of local firms and have had quotes ranging from £800-1000, along with maintenance prices of £90-120 per year on top! I find this very pricey as I have gone through the quotes and searched for these items on the net, and total cost does not come to more than about £250 for all the bits. I am not interest in having it monitored, just a bells only system

I have an electrician in at the moment re-wiring the house and would like to know how difficult it would be to wire something like this up? I am looking at a control panel, remote keypad, approx 7 PIR's and a door contact.

The systems that come recommended are Scantronic, Castles and Texecom and most have said a wired would be better than a wireless system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Esh

Comments

  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 13,176 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I've gone for a wired Texecom Veritas Compact 8 control panel, alarm box, battery, 4 pet PIR detectors (about £11 each), from a local shop and it cost under £120. You can get it cheaper online. The more expensive control panels have remote keypads too. Texecom seem to be well regarded from my researches.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.