British gas !!!!!!

Options
need some advice about my electricity account, can can anyone tell me if british gas can take money from my benefits (£8.05 per week) and also take money from my prepayment meter ( £4.00 per week ) the £8.05 has been coming straight from benefits since 2005 i think the original debt was just over £1000, british gas say they allowed me to change supplier in april 2007 but i went back to them in june 2007. which is when the say they issued a new account number,and began taking £4.00 per week through my meter. however they payments of £8.00 per week have continued right up until 2 weeks which works out that ive paid well over the debt,I then received a letter on 17th june 2009 telling me they forgot to start taking off the £4.00 a week (which they didn’t) ive asked british gas to refund the monies to me and got nowhere ive contacted them a number of times via telephone and emails but have been unsuccessful. I would appreciate any advice on what to do about this matter

Comments

• Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Put this in writing with all dates and if you have the account numbers. Mark it as a complaint and someone will will get this investigated for you.

It is unusual for the benefits to continue to pay once the supply leaves a company. The different payments will be going to 2 accounts- the final and current- this needs to be checked out.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • joannec04
    Options
    I have tried that but got nowhere, i wouldnt mind but i tried to get prepayment meter fitted when i moved in i rang them a number of times about this and its all on file.
    but thankyou for your help joyful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport