We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Mizuna flowers

Options
Hello! I seem to have lots of questions lately!

I am growing some Mizuna for salad - some flowers have popped up on one of them.. Should I leave the flowers or pluck them off? Do the flowers affect anything?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You should be cutting them sufficiently so that they don't flower. Once mizuna gets to the flowering stage it is becoming tough, so I abandon it and move on to the next lot. With a couple of troughs, you can set up a rolling programme of renewal.

Yes, it can be cut to zero & forced to start again, but this is not as good as having new plants. Pennies for the seed, if you buy in the right places, or mix with cheaper leaves for more variety. I do 50:50 mizuna & red lettuce for a bit of visual interest.
  • SmallEnglish
    Options
    Thanks Dave! Got lots of them on the go so I guess I better start snipping before they all flower!
  • SmallEnglish
    Options
    Right, my mizuna has been growing like mad along with the other salad leaves I've got (not sure what they are, they're from the Dig In packs) but the mizuna is getting teeny tiny holes in it! The other salad leaves are perfectly fine though, so do I have a fussy pest munching my leaves??
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    = do I have a fussy pest munching my leaves??

Flea beetle?
  • SmallEnglish
    Options
    Just googled Flea beetle and found some pictures of damaged leaves that look just like mine :( I've never actually seen any bugs on the leaves though, they must see me coming and hide hehe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure