Business use of vehicle.

Options
I am currently employed. I also have a small self-employed business on the side (I do declare).

I have one motor vehicle that I use for both personal use and business use.

When I use my vehicle for business use, for approximately 100 days a year, I use the mileage rate to calculate my expenses in respect of my self-assessment tax return. I fully understand that I cannot claim business miles if my journey has a personal element to it as the journey must wholly be for business use.

Anyway, I am currently in negotiations with a company who wishes to place advertising on my vehicle. This will therefore produce an income everytime I use my vehicle (whether it be for personal or business use). Therefore, my question is if the vehicle I am using is producing income for me when I use it, will every journey become business use?

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Mini_P wrote: »
    I am currently employed. I also have a small self-employed business on the side (I do declare).

When I use my vehicle for business use, for approximately 100 days a year, I use the mileage rate to calculate my expenses in respect of my self-assessment tax return. I fully understand that I cannot claim business miles if my journey has a personal element to it as the journey must wholly be for business use.

Anyway, I am currently in negotiations with a company who wishes to place advertising on my vehicle. This will therefore produce an income everytime I use my vehicle (whether it be for personal or business use). Therefore, my question is if the vehicle I am using is producing income for me when I use it, will every journey become business use?

You'll never convince the tax man of it.
  • Deepmistrust
    Deepmistrust Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Options
    Mini_P wrote: »

Hahaha, nice try lol.:rotfl:
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The question does have implications for people who may wish to make a few quid by allowing local/national businesses to advertise on the side of their vehicle.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• schneckster
    schneckster Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Afraid not.

Business use of a car means going somewhere on business or coming back. Adverts on your car mean you are selling advertising space, i.e., a service. The taxman would see it as the 2 different things they are, especially if you're invoicing the company using you for those adverts.

I wouldn't even try it. You'll get caned for it if they ever twig.

Schneckster
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I use my own car for personal trips and business ones and have a business element on my fully comprehensive insurance. I keep a little notebook in the car along with a pen which I use to note down the mileage for particular trips - I note down the date, where I am going, who I am going to see and the mileage. Thankfully I have two trip meters in the car as well so that I can set one to zero when I am about to set off from home on a business trip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure