We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Liquorice

Options
mrbadexample
mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
I've been thinking about getting a liquorice plant from here, but don't know much about them.

Have any of you got / had one? What are they like? Are they hard work? Will they take over the garden? How easy is it to harvest?

Any tips or info would be appreciated.

Cheers,
MBE :beer:
If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comments

• laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    I have no idea, but I imagine the harvest is something like the liquorice sticks you could buy from old fashioned (even then) chemists when I was a kid. So it might just be a case of snipping them off?
    import this
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a drop down menu under licorice on the site. Try 'about sweet licorice' and it answers your queries.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    There is a drop down menu under licorice on the site. Try 'about sweet licorice' and it answers your queries.

Yeah, I've read that but wondered if anyone actually had any practical experience, and could advise on what / what not to do with it. I like to do as much homework as possible before I part with my hard-earned. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • serena
    serena Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2010 at 9:17AM
    Options
    laurel7172 wrote: »
    I have no idea, but I imagine the harvest is something like the liquorice sticks you could buy from old fashioned (even then) chemists when I was a kid. So it might just be a case of snipping them off?

No sorry - it's the root that you eat!

They like deep rich soil. I haven't grown it, but read an article once about commercial cultivation.

The plant grows very long roots, and there was a picture showing quite a deep trench dug along side the plants to harvest the roots. I think the supplier's idea of pot grown is maybe a touch optimistic.

I'd certainly get one for interest, but I wouldn't be expecting a huge crop.
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2010 at 12:42PM
    Options
    I can't look at your link (blimming T-mobile child lock!!!) but I do grow liquorice, I grew mine from seed. Getting the seeds to actually germinate was the hardest bit (I was left with one proper plant from 15 seeds) and it takes a few years to grow an established crown (kind of like asparagus, but once it's developed enough you lift it and harvest the roots then replant it each spring) so plants might a good idea!

It's dead easy to grow, like any other herb really, except you want the roots. So you have to give it plenty of space for root growth, and it can apparently be a real pain to get the roots out of the ground, if you don't get every root it can get out of hand and become a problem plant. I hate digging and have nasty clay soil so I never even considered growing straight into the ground. I grow mine in an old dustbin because I am a classy lady who likes her garden to look neat :D or maybe not. I used a mix of compost and sharp sand and I just cover the bin and leave it outside over winter then replant the crown back in the same stuff... oh my goodness I sound terrible!

The plants are pretty but not enough to grow as an ornamental, IYSWIM. I'll try and remember to take a pic for you once it stops raining.

You harvest the roots, we have only harvested once, we chewed the roots and flavoured vodka for Christmas presents. It's not black or anything and it doesn't need sweetening. You get used to chewing a stick surprisingly quickly. It's like a twig that tastes of... yup, liquorice! You have to be careful not to chew too much if you have blood pressure problems, I can't remember which way round it is, whether it raises or lowers it. But it is supposed to be good for your teeth and I'm sure it's got medicinal uses.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    This is just the sort of post I was hoping for, thanks. :)
    It's dead easy to grow, like any other herb really, except you want the roots. So you have to give it plenty of space for root growth, and it can apparently be a real pain to get the roots out of the ground, if you don't get every root it can get out of hand and become a problem plant. I hate digging and have nasty clay soil so I never even considered growing straight into the ground. I grow mine in an old dustbin because I am a classy lady who likes her garden to look neat :D or maybe not. I used a mix of compost and sharp sand and I just cover the bin and leave it outside over winter then replant the crown back in the same stuff... oh my goodness I sound terrible!

Ok, I really don't want it getting out of hand, so it would have to be grown in a pot. That'll mean I'll have to look after it instead of just abandoning it. :( I'm a bit confused by this storing the crown during the winter business. Is that only if you harvest the roots? If you don't harvest them, can it be just left in the pot over winter?
    The plants are pretty but not enough to grow as an ornamental, IYSWIM. I'll try and remember to take a pic for you once it stops raining.

I don't really do ornamental anyway. My idea of pretty is potato flowers. :p
    You harvest the roots, we have only harvested once, we chewed the roots and flavoured vodka for Christmas presents. It's not black or anything and it doesn't need sweetening. You get used to chewing a stick surprisingly quickly. It's like a twig that tastes of... yup, liquorice! You have to be careful not to chew too much if you have blood pressure problems, I can't remember which way round it is, whether it raises or lowers it. But it is supposed to be good for your teeth and I'm sure it's got medicinal uses.

I wasn't even sure I actually wanted to harvest it (I am familiar with liquorice root), but you had to go and put the thought of liquorice vodka into my head. :D Now I definitely want some. :p

Do you have to dry the roots or otherwise process them?
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    SallyForth wrote: »

Great link thank you.

Ok, I'm sold. Now all I need to do is persuade someone to buy me a liquorice plant for my birthday. :money:
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hmmm, I have just build a planter that I was going to use for rhubarb but then you put this idea into my head. Rather expensive though (but then again, so is the rhubarb from that site!) Only problem I can see from it, is that (if I have read it correctly) you only harvest every 5 years, and im FAR too impatient for that!
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    davemorton wrote: »
    Hmmm, I have just build a planter that I was going to use for rhubarb but then you put this idea into my head.

Glad to have caused problems. :D
    Rather expensive though (but then again, so is the rhubarb from that site!)

Yeah, the rhubarb is perhaps a bit steep, expecially as you can get a crown from another gardener buckshee. Of course, it is Yorkshire rhubarb from the Rhubarb Triangle, so it's got to be the best. :D

I think if you were after a particular variety then it'd be ok - I'm quite tempted by the Stockbridge Arrow, but I get enough for my needs from the Timperley Early I've got.
    Only problem I can see from it, is that (if I have read it correctly) you only harvest every 5 years, and im FAR too impatient for that!

Then you need 5 plants! :D

Seriously though, I didn't get that impression when I read about it. It looks to me like you could take a crop every year (assuming you don't take too much). Have I missed something? :this would be the ideal spot for a confused smilie but for some reason we can't be trusted to have one any more:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure