Threat of bailiffs

Hi - I wrongly received a parking ticket last year and after doing some research on this website chose to ignore it. For 10 months I heard nothing and I have suddenly received a letter from Graham White Solicitors. Again, I have looked at the relevant forum and am not overly worried about this letter. However the point about getting bailiffs involved is a little worrying. I live on my own with my two young kids. What can the bailiffs do if they turn up on my front door step demanding money or assetts, and what can I legally do if they do turn up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• C.C.L.C.C.L. Forumite
    383 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    The only way bailffs can come to your house is if you have been to court, lost, and not paid. Bailiffs do not come for a "parking ticket".
    They are trying to frighten you, ignore it.
  • trisontanatrisontana Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please don't confuse bailiffs with debt collectors. As C.C.L. has pointed out bailiffs (who are officers of the court) only come into play if the due process of the civil courts has been carried out. Debt collectors are just private citizens with no special powers. They cannot enter your property, they cannot seize goods and they cannot blacken your credit record.

In the remote possibility that they do come to your home then tell them to go away or you will call the police.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • edited 28 June 2010 at 6:12PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 June 2010 at 6:12PM
    walk9763 wrote: »
    Hi - I wrongly received a parking ticket last year and after doing some research on this website chose to ignore it. For 10 months I heard nothing and I have suddenly received a letter from Graham White Solicitors. Again, I have looked at the relevant forum and am not overly worried about this letter. However the point about getting bailiffs involved is a little worrying. I live on my own with my two young kids. What can the bailiffs do if they turn up on my front door step demanding money or assetts, and what can I legally do if they do turn up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Which letter are you on now, you should just be ticking them off and laughing as you know what comes next from this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2214803

Have a look at the Central Ticketing and UKPC letter-chains, is your letter on there as they both use Graham White?

Then you'll know where you are and be ready to have fun and play snap with each letter until it all fizzles out.

Graham White don't do Court, no bailiffs will call. It's just a mail scam with the odd phone call if they get your number. The link above shows you what fun can be had if they phone, click on the links on there.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • trisontanatrisontana Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do wish the activities of Mr Michael Sobell, (aka Graham White) could be closed down. He has been running this scam for several years and nobody (including the Solicitors Regulation Authority) seem able to stop him.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • CoblcrisCoblcris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    The ability Is there, I fear that the will is not.
  • Thanks for all the replies. Yet again these forums have put my mind at rest! Thanks to you all
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides