County/Borough Council PCN valid ?

Do Council PCN's have any more validity over a private company one ?

I received a PCN for parking in a bay used for either residents with a permit or visitors with a voucher. I stupidly overslept and didn't get to the car before the 10am restriction started with my voucher that I did have.

It says;

CEO had reason to believe that the following contravention had occurred and that a penalty charge is now payable.
Parked in a residents bay or shared use parking place without clearly displaying a permit or voucher.

Thanks

£70 payable reduced to £35 if payed within 14 days!

Replies

• CoblcrisCoblcris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Do NOT ignore council PCNs.

However just being issued by a council does not mean it is error free.

We would need to see the PCN and photographs of the signs and lines a start point.
  • edited 27 June 2010 at 2:13PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 June 2010 at 2:13PM
    Of course, they are completely different things.

Council issued PCNs are real and you must not ignore them (as you would ignore private parking companies).

Post up pictures of the front and back of your PCN, all the small print and dates (but blank out your car ID and PCN number). Can you also show pics of the bay lines and signs?

This info will tell us if you may have an appeal based on flawed documents or signs/lines. Don't ignore it, don't sit on it, there's a strict time schedule for you to appeal a real PCN.

Oh, and as you are a newbie you'll not be allowed to post links. This is not a problem - just put a space after the 'http' to 'break' the link (or delete the 'http' and we'll add it back in).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • JJ43JJ43 Forumite
    30 Posts
    Thanks guys, I don't have a scanner here, but maybe I can somehow do it at work ?
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mobile phone cam, digital camera, both set on macro/closeup.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • JJ43JJ43 Forumite
    30 Posts
    I've managed to scan the PCN but it's coverted to a PDF file which I cannot seem to edit nor open with paint as the other thread suggests. I've also copied it to word and opened but again can't edit! Any ideas ?
  • CoblcrisCoblcris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Change the settings in your scanner software so as to produce graphical images.

Or use a digital camera.
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    JJ43 wrote: »
    I've managed to scan the PCN but it's coverted to a PDF file which I cannot seem to edit nor open with paint as the other thread suggests. I've also copied it to word and opened but again can't edit! Any ideas ?

A quick non-techy answer would be to stick paper over the bits of the document you want to hide (PCN number and car ID) and then scan it again, save it into your scans or your pictures. Then host it on tinypic as per the sticky 'how to post images'.

Make sure you scan the back of the PCN in full as that's often flawed in the small-print!
  • edited 29 June 2010 at 10:20AM
    JJ43JJ43 Forumite
    30 Posts
    edited 29 June 2010 at 10:20AM
    Sucess, I think ? Sorry it's in two parts, slight tech error.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ptx20.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2w4wxv7.jpg
  • edited 29 June 2010 at 11:04AM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    99.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 June 2010 at 11:04AM
    The images are fine. Have a look at this recent thread on pepipoo.com which features a PCN from Worthing:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=52426

The posters there have found fault with various parts of the wording of the Worthing PCN so that's a point of appeal to add in.. Flaws with PCN wording are a really strong appeal as Councils rarely if ever want to risk allowing appeals based on the wording of their PCNs to be scrutinised by an adjudicator. The implications are too much for all other PCNs as you would imagine.

If you need more advice and an explanation of what the posters mean by the posts they have made, start your own thread on pepipoo (don't reply on that thread). Attach pics of the front & back of the PCN - hosted on tinypic as per the forum rules 'how to post pictures' here:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

And if you are not local, try to find the place you parked on Google Street View and let pepipoo posters have a look at the signs & lines as well. It could be that the bay has the wrong white lines (very common In Worthing - I'm from Sussex myself but not near enough to go & look I am afraid).

Finally, just to warn that most Councils decline informal reps so if at first you don't succeed, try again when you get the Notice to Owner and take pepipoo's advice to get the formal appeal spot on.

You only risk paying the full (non-discounted) fine so personally I think it's worth saying you'll appeal all the way to the adjudicator if you get advice from pepipoo about your PCN wording.

Your call of course, good luck .:)
  • JJ43JJ43 Forumite
    30 Posts
    Thanks again, I've now posted in the other forum so await a response.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides