Over 65 tax allowance

Options
2»

Comments

• patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    It always amazes me that there aren't more men on here telling women to stop whinging about our retirement dates. Those of us that can retire before we are 65 on full pension should consider ourselves very lucky. We tend to be fitter than men, live longer than men & yet we have been allowed to get away with retiring earlier. If I remember my history correctly this is solely because when all this state pension was set up the "average husband" was 5 years older than his wife. Also no-one has to retire just because they hit state pension age. Unless, of course, their employer insists on it.
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooh.... that's a bit harsh. I wasn't whinging, and why would only men have that view? As you can see I am of an age that argued for equality even if it meant working until 65 rather than men retiring at 60.

I was commenting on what appears an equal situation ie. receipt of State Pension (at the age it is at the moment), some saving perhaps, and a part time job, that is made unequal by one person getting £9k+ personal allowance and another getting £6k+.

This is further compounded by annuities that pay less per £ invested for women (I do understand the reason), lower wages (so lower pensions), and at the moment some have lower State Pensions because their husbands wouldn't 'allow' them to pay the full stamp when that was an option. Council tax, energy and groceries are the same for everyone though. This is just fact, and not a whinge or part of my original post, and probably another thread.

Perhaps the next generation will be able to get rid of all these anomalies and we will read about the male/female differences in the history books along side working men, and later, women getting the vote.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure