Hm r&c

edited 26 June 2010 at 7:23AM in Cutting Tax
12 replies 946 views
50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
10.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 26 June 2010 at 7:23AM in Cutting Tax
As a high rate tax payer, last year - due to redundancy - I expected to be stung by the taxman on additional earnings during the year - Bank interest being one of them - (@ 40% rather than 20% aready removed))
I have tried to inform them of this - by email and letter, but they obviously have other things on their minds / bigger fish to fry
They have not even acknowledged receipt of my communications
So - have I got away with it ?
What time limit can I impose on them - for claiming the back tax ?
We are looking at approx £1500

Replies

• 00ec2500ec25
    9.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    the principle underlying self assessment is that if you know (which you apparently do) you have untaxed income then you should declare it (which you have done) and pay the tax on it (which you have not).

This means you do a tax return volunatarily, either on line or on paper.
    Waiting for them to ask for it is not how it works anymore
  • dori2odori2o Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What kind of income do you need to declare. A self assessment may not be required.

When was your letter sent? HMRC currently have approx 10-12 weeks post on hand.

How much is the other income you need to declare? Depending on the value of the income you may be able to declare it via the telephone.

Unlike with reclaiming overpaid tax for which their is a time limit, HMRC are not limited by how far back they can go when making assessments to reclaim unpaid tax.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • John_PierpointJohn_Pierpoint Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Join the club - I've done the calculations, written and explained the situation BUT as an executor I cannot use the on-line system. No way am I going to send off some forms I've down loaded from the interweb into a black hole.
    How long am I going to have to spend on the 'phone at my expense, trying to find intelligent life?
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dori2o wrote: »
    What kind of income do you need to declare. A self assessment may not be required.

When was your letter sent? HMRC currently have approx 10-12 weeks post on hand.

How much is the other income you need to declare? Depending on the value of the income you may be able to declare it via the telephone.

Unlike with reclaiming overpaid tax for which their is a time limit, HMRC are not limited by how far back they can go when making assessments to reclaim unpaid tax.

I claim ESA (cannot speak on the phone) and have income from bank account interest and a bit from Perps - these are all taxable and to stay on the right side of the law - I have tried to pay - I am unable to register on line for S.A - the site requires some Unique Taxpayers Reference - which I do not have a clue about - I have emailed HMRC to get one - but have been totally ignored by them.....
    Plus I wrote to them 2 months ago - still nothing !!
    Hence I cannot pay.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    I claim ESA (cannot speak on the phone) and have income from bank account interest and a bit from Perps - these are all taxable and to stay on the right side of the law - I have tried to pay - I am unable to register on line for S.A - the site requires some Unique Taxpayers Reference - which I do not have a clue about - I have emailed HMRC to get one - but have been totally ignored by them.....
    Plus I wrote to them 2 months ago - still nothing !!
    Hence I cannot pay.

HMRC do not deduct tax from your savings interest. Banks and building societies are required to collect a straight 20% from investment income on behalf of the government unless the taxpayer gives them an R85 telling them they are a non-taxpayer.
    Higher rate taxpayers are expected to inform HMRC themselves that they are liable for the extra 20% tax. You have done this so now you just have to wait until they get to working on your letter. HMRC do not yet correspond by email.
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pam17 wrote: »
    HMRC do not deduct tax from your savings interest. Banks and building societies are required to collect a straight 20% from investment income on behalf of the government unless the taxpayer gives them an R85 telling them they are a non-taxpayer.
    Higher rate taxpayers are expected to inform HMRC themselves that they are liable for the extra 20% tax. You have done this so now you just have to wait until they get to working on your letter. HMRC do not yet correspond by email.

Thanks - I hadn't realised that it was down to me to inform the taxman - I had assumed that the bank did ?
  • dtaylor84dtaylor84 Forumite
    648 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks - I hadn't realised that it was down to me to inform the taxman - I had assumed that the bank did ?

How would the bank know you are a higher rate taxpayer?
  • MikeyorksMikeyorks Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't realised that it was down to me to inform the taxman

Your first post indicates otherwise.

Having done so (and attempting to Email them outside of their secure online service won't get you anywhere) and written to them some time ago - best to let them get around to replying - always assuming you've written to the right place (your last PAYE office). Registering for SA (your other thread) isn't a practical way forward - unless you want to be lumbered with completing a Return every year.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    Your first post indicates otherwise.

Having done so (and attempting to Email them outside of their secure online service won't get you anywhere) and written to them some time ago - best to let them get around to replying - always assuming you've written to the right place (your last PAYE office). Registering for SA (your other thread) isn't a practical way forward - unless you want to be lumbered with completing a Return every year.

OK - The reason that I was trying to contact them was that I am simply trying to stay "legal" and I don't want a huge unexpected tax bill to suddenly arrive through the letter box
    I wrote to my local tax office - I assume that they do communicate with HQ ?
    I had assumed that HMRC would be in contact with DWP (benefits) and would tax me on my ESA (Which IS a taxable benefit when paid as a CONTRIBUTION BASED benefit).......
    I will wait for them to contact me
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    I am unable to register on line for S.A - the site requires some Unique Taxpayers Reference - which I do not have a clue about - I have emailed HMRC to get one - but have been totally ignored by them.....

you should be able to register here, they will then send you a UTR.
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs