IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Can I park here?

Options
Neighbour doesn't have a dropped kerb. But he parks on his garden.

I think it is illegal for him to drive over the pavement (as no dropped kerb) and legal for me to park in the road in front of his garden as he doesn't have permission for a dropped kerb.

Am I right?

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Very probably but not very neighbourly.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    qetu1357 wrote: »

I think it is illegal for him to drive over the pavement (as no dropped kerb) and legal for me to park in the road in front of his garden as he doesn't have permission for a dropped kerb.

Am I right?

My next door neighbours do the same. They applied for a dropped kerb but were declined as there's a tree on the kerb which makes the measurement too small by the Council's standards.

But I would never park in front of their front garden (now paved as a driveway). I think if someone has removed the wall and paved the area to make a driveway then it would be antisocial to park in front of it!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options

Am I right?

Legally, probably - but up to you whether you fancy all the hassle.
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Am I right?

Maybe there are better questions to ask than "Am I right" and whether or not parking in front of his garden is "legal".
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • qetu1357
    qetu1357 Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    My next door neighbours do the same. They applied for a dropped kerb but were declined as there's a tree on the kerb which makes the measurement too small by the Council's standards.

But I would never park in front of their front garden (now paved as a driveway). I think if someone has removed the wall and paved the area to make a driveway then it would be antisocial to park in front of it!

Thanks for all the answers.

I agree it is anti-social to park in front of his garden (and in all honesty I would not do it) but isn't it equally anti-social to change your garden into parking spaces and deny someone the chance to park in the road especially without permission?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Possibly, but that never crossed my mind about my next door neighbours. :)

We would have lost the chance to park there if they had been granted the dropped kerb so it makes no odds to us. Their front garden was in fact already paved and the wall removed by the previous owners so it was established as a 'drive' even without the dropped kerb. The current neighbours just tried to do things properly but can't.

Our road gets full during the day because of a nearby residents' parking permit area (silly people, agreeing to that!). But I still wouldn't even think of blocking my neighbours' 'drive'.

Just tell yourself it's the same as a dropped kerb and park down the road, that's what we do and we get on really well with our neighbours (v important!).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It keeps their car off the road at the end of the day.
  • cherub1965
    cherub1965 Posts: 8,470 Forumite
    Options
    i have a dropped kerb,drive and a white 'protected access' strip across and people still park in front of it.we live on a walkway,no road in front but i am on the corner with my drive entrance at the top of a cul de sac.people going to other houses think its fine to park there,does my head in.or they park sideways on to my entrance about 3 foot away from gates so technically they are not on the stripe.grrr!!!
    Shine on you crazy diamond..............
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is illegal to drive on/over a footpath, but getting the police involved is another matter. also even if he got a dropped kerb, it wouldnt be the whole length of the garden.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 June 2010 at 8:00AM
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers.

I agree it is anti-social to park in front of his garden (and in all honesty I would not do it) but isn't it equally anti-social to change your garden into parking spaces and deny someone the chance to park in the road especially without permission?

I may have a similar situation shortly. For 20 years myself and OH have parked in front of our house where there are 2 spaces (it's more of a cul-de-sac than a road) and the spaces are 'vertical' ones like those in a car park rather than where you park along the kerb iyswim. There's only a short kerb area. The neighbours here tend to stick to their 'own' spaces and we don't have too many parking issues. Neighbour who doesn't drive or have a car herself, wants to make her front garden a drive for when her son visits. If she does this both the spaces OH and I use will be unable to be used. Needless to say, I'm not chuffed. We would have to park elsewhere in the next car park over and as it's beside a shop, no-one wants to use it due to the people that hang around there drinking, damage has been caused to cars there previously. We wouldn't be able to see our cars from the house to keep an eye on them.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport