We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on surrendering endowment please

Options
Hi everybody,
I am looking for advice on what to do about my endowment policy.

i took out a ten year interest-only mortgage and endowment policy in 1996. Like everybody else, i guess, my endowment has not performed as well as expected :(:(:(. In may 2003, I changed my mortgage to a repayment type and carried on with the enowment as well. i am now thinking of surrendering my endowment and paying it towards my mortgage, this will almost clear my mortgage and i will save on paying interest. My question is does this sound sensible and are there any tax implications if i do this?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    10 year endowment?  ouch.

There is a potential tax liability if you are a higher rate tax payer or close.  Although you should check the start date on the plan.  If it has run for at least 75% of the term, you should be able to avoid High rate tax as it has passed the qualifying period.

Is it right wrong to cancel?  That depends.  Is it unit linked, with profits, what is the target growth rate on the plan?  what is the current value and surrender value?

If the difference in the current value and surrender value isnt great and the surrender value can cover the outstanding mortgage balance then it could be considered a valid option.  Calculate the mortage interest you would pay until the the end of the mortgage and if that is more than the difference between the current and surrender value, then you could save money.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • twok
    twok Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your comments DD.

Why ouch?

The policy has run for eight years, so 80% of term. i am not (fortunately ???) a high rate tax payer. it's not a 'with profits' type policy. by my rough calculations, the differnce in the surrender value 12 months ago and now is roughly equal to the premiums i have paid for the last 12 months, so not much gain by carrying on with the policy. By surrendering i will at least save the terest charges.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ouch because anything less than 15 years for an interest only mortgage backed by a investment product is very high risk
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport