MSE News: Lloyds TSB in bank charges shake-up

Options
2»

Comments

• davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strikes me as yet more of the MP's attitude... we don't accept any wrongdoing but we've decided to radically overhaul the system anyway...

Lets be honest the facts cannot be disputed, customers argued the banks were charging waymore than it cost them, and they were correct. Just the OFT stumbled on finding a law to say this was unfair.

Lying is rewarded, no wonder we're in the state we're in.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • student89
    student89 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    sorry if this has already been asked but will this affect the 0% planned overdraft on a student account?
  • Rupert_Bear
    Rupert_Bear Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    For keeping within the terms and conditions of my account and never exceeding my overdraft limit Lloyds have decided to punish me with a £5.00 charge if I go overdrawn plus usual interest charges. Nice one Lloyds!
  • davidgmmafan
    davidgmmafan Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be honest Rupert I think measures are long overdue to encourage people to use thier overdraft correctly, by which I mean a temporary form of borrowing. However the banks need to be very careful how they do this as the Halifax example shows the is very easy to bungle, resulting in it taking LONGER for customers to clear thier debts.

Trouble is I doubt thier integrity, I cannot believe they're doing it for the benefit for thier customers when they've looked the other way and delighted in the money raised from fees for so long.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For keeping within the terms and conditions of my account and never exceeding my overdraft limit Lloyds have decided to punish me with a £5.00 charge if I go overdrawn plus usual interest charges. Nice one Lloyds!

There is no justification for the new £5 charge and just goes to illustrate the dire lack of competition in the PCA market. Like all banks Lloyds confuses the free market for a free-for-all.

Lloyds recently said that it ''competes aggressively on all matters of products and pricing'' but that is clearly not happening in your case.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Trouble is I doubt thier integrity, I cannot believe they're doing it for the benefit for thier customers when they've looked the other way and delighted in the money raised from fees for so long.
    I don't think anyone really thinks they are doing it for their customers. They are obviously just doing it because of all the pressure about "excessive charges" with regards to unarranged overdrafts. They have to bring those charges down to avoid the possibility of them all being reclaimed in the future and to avoid new regulation being introduced that would force them to reduce them to a certain level.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • quartile
    quartile Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have banked with Lloyds for 15 years. However this will probably make me leave them. At the moment I pay around 50p a month in approved overdraft interest. I have no wish for this to increase tenfold to £5.
  • micsan84
    Options
    I have been with Lloyds for over 20 years. I recently received a statement with the £5 charge plus interest. I called them up as I was not aware of this new change to their terms and conditions, and did not believe they had communicated this to me effectively. I spoke to a manager to request that the fee be waived on this occasion and I will cover the overdraft and remove the facility from the account, but he was unwilling to. In the end the manager was not bothered about losing a valid customer of 20 years for the sake of five pounds.
    I am in the process of changing banks now to HSBC and will also receive £75 from HSBC as part of the move.
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2011 at 11:21PM
    Options
    micsan84 wrote: »
    I called them up as I was not aware of this new change to their terms and conditions, and did not believe they had communicated this to me effectively.

What do you propose, they inform you via a Howler?

Does a seven month old thread (and related news article) not indicate that perhaps you simply weren't paying attention to the mailing? It was also plastered over their website last year.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure