Insurance Claims following change in Airport Security Procedures

I'm certain I'm not going to be the only person affected by this, so let me explain.

We were abroad in Spain when the changes to UK Security procedures were announced at UK Airports, including inbound flights to the UK. As a result when we returned back to the UK we were obliged to check all electrical equipment into the hold along with the remainder of our baggage. Understandably paranoid we double padlocked one specific case that contained stuff like our iPod, Sony PSP, Digital Camera.

When we disembarked at Leeds Bradford Airport and the baggage appeared on the carousel it was immediately apparent that someone had wrenched off the padlock to this particular bag and helped themselves to the contents.

When we spoke to the ground handling agent they immediately said "oh the airline won't accept any liability for this you will have to take it up with your insurer or the British Government (!)".

When I spoke with the insurer (Norwich Union) their line was "regardless of any change to UK security procedures at airports, your policy document clearly states we will not cover you for theft from your hold baggage. Even if you obtained something in writing from the airline confirming you were forced to check these items into the hold, we would still not reimburse you for your theft. You will need to take it up with the airline".

Where do I stand here? I have written to the airline but I don't anticipate much, if any, of a response.

Has anyone else been affected in this way and does anyone have any helpful advice. We lost over £800 of equipment

Comments

• Finishrich
    Finishrich Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    would it be covered my your home contents insurance?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do you have a free legal helpline available on your home contents insurance.
    If so I would give them a call.

I know airlines liability is limitied under the Warsaw(?) convention but I'm not sure about theft.
    There should be some details about liability on your tickets.

BTW - It wasn't the airlines forcing you to do this it was the governement.

House insurance may be the easiest way to go if you have cover for "personal posessions" outside of the home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure