Student with partner turned 25 - impact on financial support?

Options
My partner is a FT student and has just gone to apply for his financial support for 2010-11 and it suddenly asked about my income when it never has before. After a bit of digging I've discovered this is because he will turn 25 before the start of the next academic year and suddenly I have become relevant when I never was before.

How much of an impact is this going to have on the support we can get? We barely struggle by as it is so any substantial reduction is going to push us over the edge :s It seems a bit sneaky that for 2 years it's all ok and now suddenly it's going to change.

I've tried to use the calculator on the student loan site but it doesn't seem to work properly.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Your partner will be assessed on your income rather than his/her parents'. Most people are delighted when this happens!
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends when they started their course and your income
  • vikingvampireparrot
    Options
    No, he was never judged on his parents income as he had been self-sufficient for 3 years so had got full entitlement up to now.

He started in 2008
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Providing your income is under £25,000, it won't make any effect on his grants.

Also, you can potentially claim the Adult Dependent's Grant now. Depends on what you expect your income to be for this coming academic year, and also the outgoings from your household.
  • vikingvampireparrot
    Options
    Hmm, a little more digging has seemed to reveal that his maintenance grant will be reduced but his maintenance loan will be increased by the same figure so giving us the same income just more debt? Does that sound right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure