Have an Energy Monitor? How much do you use?

Options
2»

Comments

• Zaksmummy
    Zaksmummy Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    This is why I keep saying that these energy monitors are a waste of time/money and effort ! What is the point of knowing (approximately - they are not very accurate) how much electricity you are using if you can't even convert that into pounds/pence ?

Purchased energy monitor back in January when our average daily units used were 19 per day (15 in summer) Using the monitor has shown us how much electric we were wasting. Now we are down to using 11 units per day simply by turning things off. :D I also take weekly readings from main electric meter and seems pretty accurate to me. Think this proves that they do save money which basically is whole point of them.
  • PeterDuckett
    PeterDuckett Posts: 91 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2010 at 3:56PM
    Options
    My bad for using points and pence but 15p is about average though you could be polite and constructive instead of trolling for arguments after all its a forum for help.

I don't thin People are dumb enough to assume 1kWh is 15th of a pence

some people may understand algebra and work out A (1.50 / A = 10)
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zaksmummy wrote: »
    Purchased energy monitor back in January when our average daily units used were 19 per day (15 in summer) Using the monitor has shown us how much electric we were wasting. Now we are down to using 11 units per day simply by turning things off. :D I also take weekly readings from main electric meter and seems pretty accurate to me. Think this proves that they do save money which basically is whole point of them.

You are missing my point. I can do everything that you do, and more, with much greater accuracy, with my old fashioned Southern Electric meter without spending £30 (or whatever) on a gizmo, whose sole object in life is to make money for those who make/sell it !
    Do you really need an electronic device to tell you that if you switch something off then it won't use electricity and it will save money ?

You could have saved that money and spent the £30 on something more useful............
  • Zaksmummy
    Zaksmummy Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    You are missing my point. I can do everything that you do, and more, with much greater accuracy, with my old fashioned Southern Electric meter without spending £30 (or whatever) on a gizmo, whose sole object in life is to make money for those who make/sell it !
    Do you really need an electronic device to tell you that if you switch something off then it won't use electricity and it will save money ?

You could have saved that money and spent the £30 on something more useful............

Fair point, though standing outside house watching meter turning around didn't appeal to me, hence why I bought energy monitor for £22.50.
    I Have two teenage boys who have xbox each :eek: so 2 tv's also laptops and netbooks in their bedrooms (I know, bad mother) Now I nag them into turning things off. It has also prompted me into changing supplier and now pay 8.22p per 1kWh :D
    443 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    My family of 4 is using on average 25kWh a day (no electric heating) which I think is pretty bad. It works out about £2 a day, although as others have said it is a bit pointless comparing usage in terms of money spent due to the ridiculous variations in tariffs. It would be interesting to see more people post their daily/monthly kWh usage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure