PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cookers

Where can I get a slow cooker at the cheapest?
Been looking at the recipies on here for a while now, and have decided to take the plunge and buy a slow cooker.

Can these be left on all day safely?
I'd prepare the meal at about 11.00am and won't be eating till 11.00pm / 1.00am

Thanks
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

20p savers club = £8.00
£2.00 savers club = £0.00 (£100 banked)

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0024 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the Ebay and other auctions, Car Boot and Jumble Sales Board

Comments

• sophiesmum_2
    sophiesmum_2 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Argos do a cheap SC for just under£10 if I remember right.

Yes they can be left on all day. I put mine on at 7am this morning and have just had casserole out of it at 7pm, lovely.

sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    I've just got a 3.5l morphy richards one for £16.66 from argos and its lovely
    :)
  • echo
    echo Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    i got the same MR one from argos yesterday-reduced from £24.99 but not used it.had £10 of vouchers from doing my surveys so an even better bargain.fantastic company 2 deal with and all their products have a 2 yr guarantee.
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    What capacity should I be buying for just the 2 of us (no kids)?

We will be looking to cook a whole chicken in it ;)
    Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!
  • echo
    a 3.5 litre one will b big enuff 4 u.not sure if a chicken fits in2 it tho cos i havent tried!
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I bought my slow cooker for a tenner, from a colleague who was emigrating! I think it is about 20 years old. I used it today as a matter of fact. I cooked braising steak, onions, mushrooms, garlic & an oxo cube with 300mls of Passata and a glass of cream sherry, on low setting for about 11 hours. Half an hour before serving I put in some cornflour mixed with water to thicken it. Seasoned with black pepper and a dash of Tabasco, we had it with some boiled new potatoes and stirfried courgette from the garden and it was delicious! I leave it on all day, while I'm out at work, the wiring seems sound enough. I just make certain it's not touching anything else on the worktop. Touch wood, there's never been any problem with it.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • got one from Argos.
    It's now sitting there (doing what seems like nothing) with braising steak, mushrooms, onions, carrots and a couple of pints of stock in it
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

20p savers club = £8.00
    £2.00 savers club = £0.00 (£100 banked)

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0024 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the Ebay and other auctions, Car Boot and Jumble Sales Board
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    I am wondering whether it is worth buying a slow cooker.

I did a long slow casserole in the oven yesterday and a slow cooker would seem to be ideal.

What else would it be suitable for? Rice puddings etc? Soup? Sorry if I've missed a recipe thread on this - please would you direct me?
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    got one from Argos.
    It's now sitting there (doing what seems like nothing) with braising steak, mushrooms, onions, carrots and a couple of pints of stock in it

I used to feel like this with mine! It sat in the corner making no noise and no smell! :) Yet hours later there would be a scrummy stew ready! I haven't used my slow cooker for ages because Im at home all the time and can cook things on the hob and keep my eye on them but I would definitely recommend slow cookers to people who are out all day.
  • echo
    defo warms the kitchen up.had a load of double cream that had 2 b used so mixed it with milk and made a rice pud -and its yummy.only thing i wud change is the amount of sugar cos it's 2 sweet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure