Quick question on buying by phone and distance selling regulations

A quick question, with apologies if this has been answered already (did a quick search.)

Are concert tickets bought by phone covered by distance selling rights?

Last Friday I bought 2 tickets for a gig (this Sat, 2nd Sept.) I paid over the phone and arranged to collect the tickets at the box office on the evening of the show.

Now I'm unable to go, and called the box office to ask about a refund. At this stage it was more in hope than in expectatation, but I thought there was no harm in asking, and was keen not to kiss goodbye to my money!

Well, when I called they were extremely rude, which is why I'm now less happy to just let it go.

To cut a long story short, they essentially just said "we don't do refunds." I asked if there were any exceptions. No.

So I asked if, in that case, the sale of tickets was exempt from distance selling rights (7 days right to cancel.)

"I don't know, all I know is we don't do refunds"

So does anyone know if concert tickets are exempt from distance selling regulations? I noticed there is a "partial" exemption for "leisure services" - does that cover tickets for live events?

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated!

Comments

• stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    I don't know for sure one way or the other, but I'd guess it's not covered because of what the DSR is supposed to be there for - to give consumers the chance to return something they can't inspect themselves in person. There's not really anything to inspect to see if it meets your needs for a ticket.

Suppose the only way if there was something unexpected - e.g. you were seated further than you were led to believe/the info wasn't available up front.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Sorry, concert tickets, however booked, are not covered by the distance selling regulations. This is because they are in effect a service as opposed to a good, and they relate to a specific event (in the same way that travel bookings are not covered.

Sorry x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • 2 very good points, although I just had a thought, lets presume the tickets were goods(I know there not) it may fall into the category "for the supply of goods made to the consumer's specifications"
    again which would not be covered under DSR, just being devils advocate

Another thought has the peformance of the contract alreeady begun. A talking point because he made have rights of cancellation.

Another talking point has the company complied with regulation 8(3) again he may have rights on cancellation

Again this may all be irrelevant as the situation may fall under regulation 6 as leisure services, in which case DSR would not apply

See nothing is straight forward
  • Thanks guys for the feedback and helpful info. Have to say that my gut instinct was that I didn't really have a leg to stand on!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure