motability advice please

Options
My husband is considering getting a motability car but the one that we would like needs quite a large advance payment.
:confused: my question is can you barter with the motability cars the same as you would with a normal new car to get the best deal?

Comments

• CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there, to be honest I dont think you can barter, but it is maybe worth a try, there are lots of great cars on the scheme now, can he not maybe consider one with a lower advance payment?
    Hope this helps
    Carol
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
  • RedLetter
    Options
    My husband is considering getting a motability car but the one that we would like needs quite a large advance payment.
    :confused: my question is can you barter with the motability cars the same as you would with a normal new car to get the best deal?

Rather than trying to barter, there is another way:
    Depending on your income, if there is need for that type of vehicle and you don't have the finances to pay for the advance, there is the option to ask for help from charity organistations to cover the difference. If your husband worked in certain trades there are charities that may be able to help.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    While I don't think you can barter with Motability, the Chariable Support Redletter mentioned is available here

There is also the possibility that could try to work one supplier off against another. You'll probably only get a "full tank" or something of that order but it may be worth comparing the deals from one dealer to the another dealer of the same make in a different locality and seeing how the deals compare.

Do be aware that there is in the general public's mind, and reflected in some of the posters on this forum, a certain antagonism to the idea that disabled people may be able to get subsidised cars. On some Estates new mobility cars get regularly keyed and the insurance excess payments mount up and could debar you from further motability leases. If you have to have adaptions fitted you may have to pay at end of lease to have them removed.

I don't think the finances add up for many. I bought a Motability Car at a BCA auction and will do so again. I don't know why people feel the need of a new car when reliability of 3yr old cars is still very good. It's a lot of money down the drain losing your DLA mobility money for 3 yrs and finding a bit deposit and having to pay for adaptions on and off the car. I bought a 3yr old. I've kept my DLA, I've got a car worth £2000+ to sell and I could still keep it if I didn't want to buy a bigger one. I'm sure not using Motability has saved me around £4000 but I had cash in the bank to buy at auction. If I'd had to have a car loan it would have been a different story but I still think it's a close run thing for many.
    the folk I think who have been diddled are the many cars I see at BCA MOTABILITY auctions with less than 5000mls on the clock. Those folk have lost all their DLA for 3 yrs £43.45 x 52 x 3=£6778 and their motoring has cost them more than £1 a mile. They would be better advised to use a taxi.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Eagle_1
    Eagle_1 Posts: 8,484 Forumite
    Options
    You can barter with mobility cars, my Dad did a few years back. We were very suprised that they actually gave him a reduction, but they did.
    In all honesty I cant remember exactly how much though.
  • Turning_into_scrooge
    Options
    Not so sure about bartering but when i signed up for Ford Motability they sent me voucher for £250 of the initial payment. My car is up for renewal in January and they have sent me another voucher for the same amount. I think if you genuinely cannot afford the down payment motability do have fund you can apply to which will pay this for you but you have to have a good reason to be given it but don't let that put you off contact motabillity and ask, they can only say no :)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Those folk have lost all their DLA for 3 yrs £43.45 x 52 x 3=£6778 and their motoring has cost them more than £1 a mile. They would be better advised to use a taxi.

Yes, I have often wondered why people give up £43 a week to buy a new car.:confused:
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • RedLetter
    Options
    While I don't think you can barter with Motability, the Chariable Support Redletter mentioned is available here

I don't think the finances add up for many. I bought a Motability Car at a BCA auction and will do so again. I don't know why people feel the need of a new car when reliability of 3yr old cars is still very good. It's a lot of money down the drain losing your DLA mobility money for 3 yrs and finding a bit deposit and having to pay for adaptions on and off the car. I bought a 3yr old. I've kept my DLA, I've got a car worth £2000+ to sell and I could still keep it if I didn't want to buy a bigger one. I'm sure not using Motability has saved me around £4000 but I had cash in the bank to buy at auction. If I'd had to have a car loan it would have been a different story but I still think it's a close run thing for many.
    the folk I think who have been diddled are the many cars I see at BCA MOTABILITY auctions with less than 5000mls on the clock. Those folk have lost all their DLA for 3 yrs £43.45 x 52 x 3=£6778 and their motoring has cost them more than £1 a mile. They would be better advised to use a taxi.

It's OK if you take the chance to buy a car from an auction, but what assurance do you have regarding the mechanics etc on it and you would need the full amount of money to pay for the car there and then.
    Rather than spreading the cost via Motability.
    A Motability car has included, All Services, Repairs and Maintenance and Insurance.
    Afterall the Mobility element of DLA is paid to aid your mobility by either car, electric scooter or public transport.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    There are too many rules and regulations on getting a mobility car!

We have just bought a new car and awaiting for it to be delivered. As we needed an adaption we were able to get the car VAT free. With all the cashbacks, VAT free and part ex (old banger) we saved £8000+ and in 3 years it will be mine for not much more than the £6800 you would loose IYSWIM.

HTH

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Redletter-Would you honestly pay £2266 per year for a car including insurance, MOT etc that will never be yours? You would still have your running costs on top. This is how we viewed it in the end. I dont receive HR mobility yet, but have a very good chance of receiving it (put in my reconsideration 2 weeks ago) but it just seems so much money to loose.

We have bought many cars from auctions over the years and have never had a problem. If you know what your looking for and in the know a little..buying from an auction is an excellent idea if you have the cash available to do so.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    There are too many rules and regulations on getting a mobility car!

We have just bought a new car and awaiting for it to be delivered. As we needed an adaption we were able to get the car VAT free. With all the cashbacks, VAT free and part ex (old banger) we saved £8000+ and in 3 years it will be mine for not much more than the £6800 you would loose IYSWIM.

HTH

PP
    xx
    Don't forget that VAT free vehicles for wheelchair users continue with the VAT exemption for the whole time that user owns that vehicle. So all further servicing & maintainance on that car is VAT exempt.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family