Monster Webste Job Scam

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
7 replies 986 views
JasonLVCJasonLVC Forumite
16.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
I'm registered with Monster.com for jobs and according to them, you can post your CV onto the site and only registered/verified companies have access to those CV details. I use a 'special' email address only for my CV posted on monster so that I don't get a load of junk-mail. Anyway, have had this email today offering me a job.

I'm totally aware that it is variation of the cheque banking scams we all know about but wanted to raise two issues. The first is that if you do get this email it is a scam (despite the companies appearing to be legitimate).

Secondly, Monster are allowing anyone to register as a 'client'. I've emailed Monster and they've sent a standard response saying thanks and don't respond to it. But they ignored my question of why they've 'verified' someone who is clearly a money-laundering company.

Anyway, here's my email...

We have found your resume at monster.com. And We would like to suggest you a position at our company - the Transfer Manager.

The task of the Transfer Manager is to process payments between our clients and our company via bank checks, The job is related to remote Internet operations. Every payment order will be accompanied with detailed instructions. It's a commission based position. You will get about 10% of each processed payment.

General requirements:
- Ability to create good administrative reporting;
- Prior customer service experience is a good benefit, but not a must;
- Willingness to work from home, take responsibility set up and achieve goals;
- Honesty, responsibility and promptness in operations;
- Effective interaction with customers;
- Familiarity to working online, Internet and e-mail skills;
- 3-5 hours per week

Salary: $600-$1200 per week

This job will allow you to:
- Work efficiently from home;
- Increase available personal time;
- Achieve financial independence in half the normal time (1-3 hours per day);
- Develop high self-respect and esteem.
- Become able to share time and money with others less fortunate than you;

If you are interested in working with us, or if you want more information, you can contact me directly at my personal email address. I'll need your full name, telephone number and mailing address so I can send you the contract and other paperwork necessary to get started. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think monster have just about the right name.

As you say, it'll fairly obviously turn out to be a variation on the usual Nigerian 419 scam.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Mrs_B_12Mrs_B_12 Forumite
    364 Posts
    I've had that email loads of times and I'm not registered on Monster. They company don't get your details from Monster, it's all a scam and they use their name to try to make their 'offer' look legit.
  • “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” Socrates

Haters gonna hate
  • Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrs_B wrote:
    They company don't get your details from Monster,
    .. Jason - didn't you indicate that you used a unique email address for your CV? Or just one that is rarely used?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • If other companies have had access to the cv, and therefore the email address, there is plenty of scope for the email address to have got into the hands of anyone else.
  • JasonLVCJasonLVC Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a unique email address

It either came from a false recruiter who has access to Monster's database or been uploaded onto a genuine recruiters systems which has then become compromised.

Either way, I've took my CV off of Monster now as just don't trust it or it's security.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
  • Aye I've had a few emails like that lately from monster. I did also get a genuine job offer a few months back from a company who found my CV. I started the job five months back and its the best job I've ever had so maybe it's worth keeping your CV registered.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals