We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Please help! Red postcard from Mackenzie Hall, requiring an urgent call.
debtfreewannabe2010
Posts: 41 Forumite
I owe them money and I do not know what to do. I don't want to call them but the postcard is threatening and they've told me to call them 'NO LATER THAN 24th June 2010', so if I send a letter I don't know if it will get there before my deadline. I am too afraid to call them. Whenever I try to call such people, they bully me and won't accept the small installments that I offer. I don't know what to do. :'(
From Bad to Fair; An Excellent credit rating is now my aim!
0
Comments
-
Did not want to read and run, but don't call them, send them a letter saying you will only communicate in writing. The idea of the card is to scare you into ringing them so that they can bully you!
Someone who knows more than me will be along to help soon.Credit card debt - NIL
Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 20360 -
Hi in a way you have answered your own question:D
DO NOT call them
That card is a threatening technique they use, so they can bully you on the phone
they are trained in it:mad:
Are you in a position to make a fair offer to these nasties, that is
A) affordable
fair to all your other creditors (Pro Rata payments
C) took any advice from Non-profit Debt Counsellors' List
Next time you make an offer in writing , ask the for thier bank account details so you can set up
a Standing Order to them, do not set up a Direct Debit, and do not let them have any phone numbers
HTH:APROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
DFD 5/1/16Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying
. Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: &
for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
xx0 -
debtfreewannabe2010 wrote: »I owe them money and I do not know what to do. I don't want to call them but the postcard is threatening and they've told me to call them 'NO LATER THAN 24th June 2010', so if I send a letter I don't know if it will get there before my deadline. I am too afraid to call them. Whenever I try to call such people, they bully me and won't accept the small installments that I offer. I don't know what to do. :'(
Make sure you keep copies of the letter and send it recorded post (to ensure next day delivery) to the debt collection agencies registered office NOT a PO box address as often quoted on their letters. Looks like their office is registered at: Unit 1A, 58 Portland Street, Kilmarnock. KA1 1JG.
As others have said don't contact them on the phone.!"£$%^&*()0 -
Thanks everyone for your replies! The only problem is I am not sure I can get to a post office today, to send the letter and then I am working tomorrow. Shall I send a letter by regular post, for now? Does anyone know of an email address for them? Thanks so much. I am really worried.From Bad to Fair; An Excellent credit rating is now my aim!0
-
Numpty_Monkey wrote: »Hi in a way you have answered your own question:D
DO NOT call them
That card is a threatening technique they use, so they can bully you on the phone
they are trained in it:mad:
Are you in a position to make a fair offer to these nasties, that is
A) affordable
fair to all your other creditors (Pro Rata payments
C) took any advice from Non-profit Debt Counsellors' List
Next time you make an offer in writing , ask the for thier bank account details so you can set up
a Standing Order to them, do not set up a Direct Debit, and do not let them have any phone numbers
HTH:A
- I can only pay a very small amount.
I haven't sought advice as yet. I have other debts and have been hiding away from it all. I am struggling to pay my rent, so at the moment I actually can't really afford to spend anything. From Bad to Fair; An Excellent credit rating is now my aim!0 -
Send the letter when you can, but as David has said send it recorded
At this moment in time the worst they will probably do is send you another letter if you miss "thier deadline"
I know it is scarey and can understand how frightened you are , that is the effect they want
they can't do 98.% of the things they threaten (mainly on the phone)
1% they won't do
1% not for a long time
You are dealing with your debts and have a great community backing you up:A:T
I know I really shouldn't
but,
Having fun with Debitas
I think this might help youPROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
DFD 5/1/16Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying
. Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: &
for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
xx0 -
debtfreewannabe2010 wrote: »- I can only pay a very small amount.
I haven't sought advice as yet. I have other debts and have been hiding away from it all. I am struggling to pay my rent, so at the moment I actually can't really afford to spend anything.
Ok contact one of them in Non-profit Debt Counsellors' List
your priority is to pay the rent, food, utilities, council tax, living expences
Cards loans and so on come in last
Why don't you post up your SOA, income and outgoings use this
http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html
and we'll see where to go from there:A:DPROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
DFD 5/1/16Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying
. Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: &
for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
xx0 -
debtfreewannabe2010 wrote: »Thanks everyone for your replies! The only problem is I am not sure I can get to a post office today, to send the letter and then I am working tomorrow. Shall I send a letter by regular post, for now? Does anyone know of an email address for them? Thanks so much. I am really worried.
Send it recorded not regular post as they will claim they didn't receive your letter otherwise. Ignore their time frame stated in their letters its usually a load of rubbish to pressure you and put you on edge. The only letters with time frames to take real note of are if a CCJ.!"£$%^&*()0 -
Hi I have had the exact same thing from different Debt Collection companies (inc. Mackenzie Hall). You will find your debt will get passed around roughly every 6 months to different Debt Collection Companies. I have had the threats when you ring their bailiffs up. I have even had 1 man threatening me at my door that unless I gave him £285 there and then (which I didn't have) that he would be back within 24 hours to break into my house and take everything I f***ing owned. They really do employ some lovely people!!! They can be really awful and are nothing but bullies, most of them. Don't worry if your letter gets there late. They do not stick to their deadline dates on their threatening correspondence. They know that they really do not have many rights whatsoever to take your belongings, so due to desperation, they use these bullying tactics hoping that you won't know your rights. You will be better off sending the letter a day late by recorded delivery rather than just sending it normally. They could say they haven't received it and then you cannot prove that you have sent it then can you. Oh and get a copy of any letters you send. Also only offer them what you can realistically afford, they would prefer to receive a small amount regularly rather then a bigger amount intermittently. If you offer too much you will only end up robbing Peter to pay Paul and that is going to put you in a worse position than you are in now. If they refuse your offer, do not back down. They will have to give in eventually, they would rather get a few pounds a week than nothing at all. Just remember you cannot give them what you haven't got. Good luck and don't let them get you down. That means they have won. :mad:0
-
Registered post is cheaper than recorded and still signed for.
Forget about their deadlines. These have absolutely no legal force and are delibarately designed to panic you and force you to make mistakes.
Whart was the money originally for? When did you take outthe account?If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards