Student debt prevents emmigration?

Options
Does my student debt count as a debt to prevent emmigrating to Australia? I know outstanding debts effects the point system but does the SLC debt count?

What about other counties? In general the SLC debt is a bit unclear as sometimes it's considered debt and sometimes it isn't.
Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker

Comments

• Blacksheep1979
    Options
    Well I don't think they show up on credit checks
  • tallerbird
    Options
    Well, i am actually browsing this forum looking for some similar info but i may be able to help you. My sister emigrated to Australia just over a year ago and has recently received her permanent residence visa. Today i received a letter from the student loan company asking me to contact them regarding her whereabouts.
    I assume that she left without telling them or paying it off, so i don't think it should prevent you from emigrating.

If anyone could give any info about what my sister could do about this now it would be a great help. I heard once that there is a loophole that means you don't have to pay it make if you have been outside the UK for a number of years.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It won't prevent you but you should keep them informed. While abroad and working, whatever amount you earn (even if it's pennies) you have to pay a set amount. The SLC also claims that they add penalty fines and penalty interest rates etc if you fail to give them information - so be careful on that side of things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure