We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Passing responsibility of my mortgage
Saxie
Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi,
I would like to move abroad for a year or two. Can I allow someone else to take responsibility for my mortgage, or can I lease (not rent) my property to them, so they assume payment for the mortgage but I still own the house?
I would like to move abroad for a year or two. Can I allow someone else to take responsibility for my mortgage, or can I lease (not rent) my property to them, so they assume payment for the mortgage but I still own the house?
0
Comments
-
If you want someone to pay to live in your house on a temporary basis rather than sell your house to them, you'll want to read up on your landlord responsibilities and housing law on Landlordzone.
You get to keep the house when you have tenants but there is much legislation to comply with. As you are overseas, you'll probably want to get an agent to manage it - again the landlordzone website tells landlords how to select a good agent.0 -
Hi,
I would like to move abroad for a year or two. Can I allow someone else to take responsibility for my mortgage, or can I lease (not rent) my property to them, so they assume payment for the mortgage but I still own the house?
Quite simply, no - sorry.
You can let the property, but you will remain responsible for the mortgage and you will have all the usual landlord responsibilities.Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards