We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Getting a term in a lease changed...

Has anyone got experience of getting a term in a lease changed (whilst owning the property)?

I want to get mine changed so I can access my loft which the freeholder is happy with in principle, but what do I do to get the process started?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

  • Hi,

    I own an ex-LA flat, and I changed my lease a few years ago, the issue was to do with the windows. Once the freeholder (local council) had agreed to my proposal, I just hired a solicitor to write up a Deed of Variation, which then got signed by everybody. I also had to pay the council's legal fees. I think my sol dealt with the mortgage company as well, I'm pretty sure I didn't.
  • thanks, my freeholder is the council too.

    so I need to get onto a solicitor I suppose!
  • Might be worth clarifying what the council expect first. E.g. do you have to pay their legal fees? Agreement in principle is one thing, but you need to check the detail & make sure that there aren't any unexpected consequences of the change.

    Where I live, the properties are in blocks of 4 maisonettes, with each leaseholder contributing 25% to all maintenance costs. I've heard that those who have varied their lease to include the lofts then have now got stung for more than 25% of the costs, as all the flats are now not of equal size.

    Also, with my windows one, while I was luckily the only leaseholder in my block, the change I wanted meant that if there had been other leaseholders, their leases would have had to be changed too - with a whole load more legal fees to negotiate, once the other leaseholders had agreed.
  • Thanks for the heads-up. I don't think the specific things you mention would apply to me, and I would expect to be paying all the costs for doing it, including their legal fees, but I will double check any consequenses anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.