We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
First Time Landlord
Pint_Sized_Princess
Posts: 38 Forumite
Hi all,
Hope this is the right place to post this....
I am thinking of relocating in the next few months and due to the property market at the moment, I am thinking of renting out my current property and buying another to live in.
1. Are there any websites which show me potential things I need to be aware of as a first time landlord (i.e. H&S, agreements etc)
2. How easy is it to get a Buy to Let mortage at the moment? I have around £100k equity, but will be taking some of this out to place down as a deposit on my new property.
3. Will my current lender (First Direct) be happy to lend me the same amount as they do currently for my new property - or would this potentially reduce due to me having the buy to let mortgage? Only thing I am worried about is not being able to secure my new mortage on the same rate (i.e. 1.99%). Would my current mortage be portable - and do I need to stick to the same LTV?
Any pointers would be great!
Thanks for reading
Hope this is the right place to post this....
I am thinking of relocating in the next few months and due to the property market at the moment, I am thinking of renting out my current property and buying another to live in.
1. Are there any websites which show me potential things I need to be aware of as a first time landlord (i.e. H&S, agreements etc)
2. How easy is it to get a Buy to Let mortage at the moment? I have around £100k equity, but will be taking some of this out to place down as a deposit on my new property.
3. Will my current lender (First Direct) be happy to lend me the same amount as they do currently for my new property - or would this potentially reduce due to me having the buy to let mortgage? Only thing I am worried about is not being able to secure my new mortage on the same rate (i.e. 1.99%). Would my current mortage be portable - and do I need to stick to the same LTV?
Any pointers would be great!
Thanks for reading
0
Comments
-
you certainly wont get a BTL mortgage for 1.99% !!!
www.landlordzone.co.uk is a great landlords forum which will highlight a lot of pitfalls.. but i cannot advise strongly enough that you join National Landlords Association - (joining fee is tax deductible) where you will get a ll the paperwork you canpossibly need plus a great legal help line... and you get cheaper insurance if you are a member
i would also advise going to a whole-market mortgage broker to do what you want - they have access to more deals than you and i do and can give you best advice as to how best to present your application0 -
Oh sorry if my original post was confusing, I didn't expect to get the BTL mortgage at that rate! Yes now that would be wishful thinking....:o
I was referring to my current residential mortgage rate with FD which I have for my existing property I currently live in, for which I am hoping to transfer to my new property (when I buy it!).
So no major problems then in the existing economic climate, with having 2 mortgages as a single person? I have a good credit history, so guess this helps, but was unsure whether current lending criteria was strict on this.
Thanks for the link clutton, I think I will definitely join the Association as I want to do everything properly and am in this for the long term...I definitely dont want unhappy tenants!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards