We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Still shaking but I've made the call for help!

2»

Comments

  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    jcorbygas wrote: »
    Well done - I made the big step last week and feel so much better than I have done for ages. I am waiting for my pack to come through from CCCS and I am in the process of changing all the direct debits to a new account and sending token payments to all creditors. My situation is a bit complicated as my husband is self-employed so our income is in different amounts every week so budgeting is very difficult and timing money in and out of the account is hard.
    It feels as if I had to reach rock bottom ie not wanting to get out of bed in the morning, feeling as if I wanted to run away from everybody etc and now although I know it will still be hard at last I feel there is someone on our side - CCCS.

    My situation is the same as yours, my husband is self-employed too which is why I have been avoiding the DMP route as I can't find out what to do re: his business account with the bank. Maybe this thread is the inspiration that I need:o
  • jcorbygas
    jcorbygas Posts: 581 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ElliesEleven - I will be paying in our business cheques into my CardOne banking account from next week rather than into our business account with Lloyds as although our business relationship manager says that our personal account is completely separate from our business account I dont want to take a chance.
    CardOne say there is no limit to the amount of cheques you can pay in and it is linked to a prepaid Mastercard and you can also do transfers so that will be fine for paying for suppliers. I will be setting up an account in my husbands name in addition to my one so that the accounts are kept separate for accounting purposes.
    Our debt is about 3 times higher than yours - and I have been putting off contacting CCCS for too long really and its only now that we have been paying our suppliers late or by credit card that I have had to face up to the fact that we have no option but to go on a dmp.
    Other half is not fully up to speed on what is going on - his attitude has always been that he does all the work and I do all the money side which has put a lot of pressure on me and he will not sit down and see what it costs to actually run the business - as far as he sees it all the cheques etc he gets from customers is profit!! Hence some of the mess we are in.

    Good luck with your debt free battle.
  • Thankyou everyone! I very much appreciate all your lovely comments and now I know I have done the right thing. Will have more guidance next Tues when I have my phone appointment with counsellor. Ellieseleven and Jcorbygas - I am self-employed and this is part of the reason I put it off but it isn't as complicated as I thought (according to advisor from CCCS!) so I will keep you posted. My husband doesn't have anything to do with my finances - we split the household bills and he just couldn't cope with knowing the full extent of my debt (still adding it up but around £42,000). Now I have to get to grips with this site and how to use it!!!!! Probably not replying in the correct way!
  • Congratulations! :beer:

    Join the road with a few of us! :T
    Just another dumbass with money...:D
  • shopnomore
    shopnomore Posts: 29 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done!!!
    I know what you mean about the shaking. I cried before, during and after my call with them. I felt so ashamed of myself but they were really good and explained everything.
    We have sent back all the paperwork they requested in their 'pack' and haven't actually heard anything since but all our creditors (all 12 of them!!!!!!!!) have stopped ringing the house and mobile every 10 mins. On one day I had 17 calls from Natwest - it got to the point where I was scared to answer the phone.
    Fingers crossed all our creditors accept.
    Good luck with yours too.
    x
    Arrrrggghhhhhhhh.......what have I/we done?????
    total £[STRIKE]66k[/STRIKE] £32k debt not including mortgage GULP:eek:
    DMP Started 1st July 2010
    Debt free approx Dec 2018
  • jcorbygas
    jcorbygas Posts: 581 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    shopnomore - glad to hear you are feeling more positive - the calls are horrible arent they. Can you tell me how long it was from contacting CCCS to receiving the pack from them, as I need to get going sending my token payments and need a template letter (unless anyone can link me to one and I can start without the pack)

    Thanks
  • BorassicLint
    BorassicLint Posts: 881 Forumite
    jcorbygas wrote: »
    shopnomore - glad to hear you are feeling more positive - the calls are horrible arent they. Can you tell me how long it was from contacting CCCS to receiving the pack from them, as I need to get going sending my token payments and need a template letter (unless anyone can link me to one and I can start without the pack)

    Thanks

    Sorry don't know how to link but have a look on the National Debt Line website they have template letters on there and lots of other info.
    I must stop procrastinating, I must stop procrastinating! promise I'll stop tomorrow OK:D


    NSD AUGUST 6/8 :j
  • Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    You can use this template letter #52
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.