We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Still shaking but I've made the call for help!

I can hardly type as I am still shaking that much but - finally, I have called the CCCS and will be speaking with a councillor next week! I have no further options now. I feel relieved, scared, don't know whether I may even cry but I have to face it full on now.

Just had to tell anyone out there that understands!

I am now going to cancel all direct debits from my (overdrawn to the limit) bank account and wait for the inevitable consequences.
«1

Comments

  • 3Dogs
    3Dogs Posts: 14,092 Forumite
    Well done Pet on taking that first frightening step - you are now on the road to recovery. You are now in control and thatis what matters.

    Have you done an SOA (statement of Affairs) yet? It will help you when you get to speak to CCCS Counsellor and if you then post it on here, others can come and give you advice too. You can do it on http://makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html

    good luck with whatever you do now
    :( Mr 3Dogs 3-7-12 :( 3Dogs'Mam 31-3-13 :(
  • As 3Dogs says you have made the first big step so well done for that:T. There are lots of people on here that have a wealth of information and advice so if you have any questions, just ask and someone will be along to help you, you are not alone.;)
    I must stop procrastinating, I must stop procrastinating! promise I'll stop tomorrow OK:D


    NSD AUGUST 6/8 :j
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    Well done for making the call! Have been there and know it is so scary having to face up to everything but you have done it and now you can start to move forward and sort your life out. I found CCCS lovely so please don't worry about that and you will start to feel so much better when you can see that something is being done rather than feeling completely powerless and just hiding from it (like I was doing!) As 3Dogs said try and post your statement of affairs on here and people will no doubt have some good advice on how you can try and save money on it.
    Good luck with it :)
  • Angyles
    Angyles Posts: 121 Forumite
    Well Done for taking this step, I took the same one last week and have to admit although it was difficult I feel so much better even just a week later, I feel like I'm the one now in control. As others have said if you post an SOA you will get some great advice as to where you can improve your finances.
    Debt-Free Wannabe / Long Haul Supporter 238 - Proud to be Dealing with my Debts
    LBM Moment June 2010 DMP with CCCS Started August 2010
    Total Debt at LBM = £17,602.74 / Current Debt = £16,285.76 / Cleared = £1.316.98 (7.5%)
    CWU Cashback Referral Link = http://www.cwucashback.co.uk/r/?l=1439965
  • Well done on this, it's so scary isn't it!

    But you will be fine they are absolutely brilliant

    I have started a debt management plan and it has made such a difference you can't imagine...

    I have gone from looking at over £400 per month in payments to £168 or thereabouts...

    It will take a while but that's OK

    And i can't get any credit, that's probably a good thing!!

    Onwards and upwards
    :):)
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Well done the newbies! If you haven't done so already, get yourself down the town and open up a new bank account in a bank where you have no existing connection - no loans, cards, anything. Ask for a current account without overdraft facilities, just direct debit and standing order facilities and ideally an on line banking service as well, so you can keep track of things. If you are quick and do this before missing any payments then you might get a debit card as well, but if you have already defaulted on anything then they will probably only give you a cash card - worth a try, though. Make sure your wages/benefits/other income is all switched to the new account and all standing orders/direct debits transferred over. Good luck, you have made the start on your debtfree journey, and many of us have been where you are.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Well Done!!!! I have been putting this off for nearly 12 months but know eventually I will have to go down the same route. Seeing your post makes me that bit braver!
  • Fitzer2000
    Fitzer2000 Posts: 308 Forumite
    Well done mate! You'll get all the support and help you need from the wonderful ppl on this forum. Don't worry too much about the consequences, the important thing is you've made the first steps in sorting out your finances. If you could post a Statement of Affairs we can take a look and see where we can help you make savings. Also, depending on the type of debt there may be an "unenforcibility" option. Well done again and please please try and come on here for support and help, it really is a lifeline. Thanks again for posting
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 366 Forumite
    Well done! The relief of telling someone is a wonderful feeling!

    Everyone here seems to be lovely and they give some excellent advice. It's great as you realise that you are not alone and that everything can and will be sorted. :)
    ::: Total Paid Since LBM (27/05/10): £4639.85 Official Debt Gone!! :T :::
    :A
    That money talks, I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
    ~ VSP2011: #104 ~
  • jcorbygas
    jcorbygas Posts: 581 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Well done - I made the big step last week and feel so much better than I have done for ages. I am waiting for my pack to come through from CCCS and I am in the process of changing all the direct debits to a new account and sending token payments to all creditors. My situation is a bit complicated as my husband is self-employed so our income is in different amounts every week so budgeting is very difficult and timing money in and out of the account is hard.
    It feels as if I had to reach rock bottom ie not wanting to get out of bed in the morning, feeling as if I wanted to run away from everybody etc and now although I know it will still be hard at last I feel there is someone on our side - CCCS.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.