We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Argh so close!!!

I have about £6 left to last me to pay day (this Friday!) but the petrol light came on last night and I need petrol to get to work!

Its a 1.9 diesel so I'm not even sure if £6 worth of diesel will even give me enough!

Argh, so close to pay day but still so far!!!!!
:j *~* 2011 - TRY TO GET CREDIT CARD AS LOW AS POSS BUT STILL HAVE FUN *~* :j
«1

Comments

  • goggle
    goggle Posts: 442 Forumite
    £6 of fuel will certainly get you a little way - how far is it to work & is there any other option (bus, train, walk, cycle?)
    My car does at least 25 miles after the petrol light has come on (not pushed it further than that!)
  • gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    well all depends on how far you have to travel what car you have and how economical it is/you drive

    normal cars warning lights come on when you have around 50 miles of petrol left ~ 1.5 gallons

    £6 will get roughly 1.2 galons so if you go on a very rough guesstimate you will have 2.5 - 3 gallons of fuel left so now all depends on what sort of MPG your car does and how many miles you have to drive between now and payday
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    I'd put the money in my car and hope for the best. Hope you make it :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    sara86pink wrote: »
    I have about £6 left to last me to pay day (this Friday!) but the petrol light came on last night and I need petrol to get to work!

    Its a 1.9 diesel so I'm not even sure if £6 worth of diesel will even give me enough!

    Argh, so close to pay day but still so far!!!!!
    I see one heck of a repair bill coming over the horizon.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • David_Brent
    David_Brent Posts: 697 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Sell the car and buy a bus/train pass or a bike. No offence but if you can't afford to run the car then you should sell it. One of my friends got new high performance car (fast/high insurance) last year he can only run in on premium petrol and he spends a fortune in petrol and insurance for it and he wonders why he is skint having to get engine parts shipped over from Japan if somthing goes wrong with it and he never comes out for a drink at the weekends anymore because he can't afford to! He has had to cancel his holiday this summer. Its best not to be to stuborn and face facts at times.
    !"£$%^&*()
  • goggle
    goggle Posts: 442 Forumite
    amiehall wrote: »
    I'd put the money in my car and hope for the best. Hope you make it :)

    I'd buy diesel & put that in the car - six £1 coins in the fuel tank won't help! (unless your car has a coin slot like the dodgems?)
  • Luckystepho
    Luckystepho Posts: 353 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi Sarah- I am in exactly the same position as you this week- payday Friday and hoping my petrol will last! I guess all you can do is to cut out all non essential trips, walk to friends/ family etc if you can; is work very far away?

    My job involves driving to peoples' homes so I am trying to stay as local as possible as we cover quite a wide area... good luck!
  • sara86pink
    sara86pink Posts: 324 Forumite
    Well I'm going to put the £6 in it and hopefully that will give me enough to last until Friday, the light came on at around 60-70 miles as I was keeping an eye on it, I just dont like the risk of driving around with the light on!

    As for selling the car, yes I am currently in the process of selling my car, I'm waiting until payday to get some essential bits done to it and hopefully will have it sold by the end of next month (I need it for 17th July as its helping me move!)

    I do have my boyfriends bike I can use but it needs a new saddle (which we also cant afford right now) and it takes me approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours to walk and I work 8am-6pm so after a long day, it is an effort to walk! But, weather seems to be nice this week so might give it a go... Could do with the exercise lol!
    :j *~* 2011 - TRY TO GET CREDIT CARD AS LOW AS POSS BUT STILL HAVE FUN *~* :j
  • Soubrette
    Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
    sara86pink wrote: »
    Well I'm going to put the £6 in it and hopefully that will give me enough to last until Friday, the light came on at around 60-70 miles as I was keeping an eye on it, I just dont like the risk of driving around with the light on!

    As for selling the car, yes I am currently in the process of selling my car, I'm waiting until payday to get some essential bits done to it and hopefully will have it sold by the end of next month (I need it for 17th July as its helping me move!)

    I do have my boyfriends bike I can use but it needs a new saddle (which we also cant afford right now) and it takes me approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours to walk and I work 8am-6pm so after a long day, it is an effort to walk! But, weather seems to be nice this week so might give it a go... Could do with the exercise lol!

    Could you split the difference and perhaps park half way between work and home? That would only make it a 30 - 45 minute walk each way and would half your mileage.

    Sou
  • David_Brent
    David_Brent Posts: 697 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Soubrette wrote: »
    Could you split the difference and perhaps park half way between work and home? That would only make it a 30 - 45 minute walk each way and would half your mileage.

    Sou

    Good idea and maybe even throw your bike in the boot of the car and park half way then cycle in - you may then be entitled to the cycle to work scheme?
    !"£$%^&*()
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.