Aargh - all emails arriving twice!

Options
Our broadband (NTL) has been poorly for a while. At least once a day we have to reset the set-top box and reboot the PCs as the internet and sometimes also the TV freezes. NTL have been out to us and couldn't find anything wrong with the box.

It went belly-up again yesterday and since then all emails have been arriving in duplicate in my Inbox. Any ideas?
The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.

Comments

• bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Options
    Do you access the NTL inbox through webmail or Outlook (express)?
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Normally through Outlook, although sometimes I check on webmail. The emails are appearing twice on both.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Options
    If they're in the inbox on the webmail twice, then it's a problem server side. NTL need to be hassled a bit more. If it's more than 12 weeks since the initial fault was reported to them, OTELO may be able to help. Google for a number.
  • wigginsmum
    Options
    It's changed now - emails are on the server once but coming through twice into Outlook. Any ideas?
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    wigginsmum wrote:
    It's changed now - emails are on the server once but coming through twice into Outlook. Any ideas?

Are you using any filters with Outlook?

It could be you're copying a message and not moving it in a filter.
  • wigginsmum
    Options
    I am, yes, but even the ones supposed to go straight into the Inbox are coming through twice. I'll turn all the message rules off and see what happens.
  • f1charlie
    f1charlie Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    I had this problem the other night with the same messages coming through repeatedly (not NTL). This was a problem at the ISP end.

Charlie
    Charlie
  • wigginsmum
    Options
    I've just Googled and it seems I'm downloading from a POP3 server twice. Not sure what to do about that

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292249
  • wigginsmum
    Options
    I'm not a techie person but on my Tools/Email Accounts, I have the following:

Outlook processes e-mail for these accounts in the following order:

Jules POP/SMTP (Default)
    Mike POP/SMTP
    pop3.ntlworld.com POP/SMTP

Is the problem something to do with that? Mike doesn't use his NTL account at all, so should I delete that? Is the pop3 a duplicate of my Jules account?
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Options
    wigginsmum wrote:
    Is the pop3 a duplicate of my Jules account?

Probably - not an Outlook user but you should be able to see what settings it's using.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure