Bathroom refit quote

Options
Hello, we're in Brighton and just getting quotes for re-fitting bathroom (approx. 3m x 2m) We're supplying suite, tiles, paint, fittings.

It's not a straight re-fit as they're boxing in pipes, levelling ceilings and various fiddly bits.

Please let me know what you think

Remove bathroom suite, tiling (floor and walls) and cupboard wall
To retain bath and panel to re-fit later
Form recess in shower wall
First fix ceiling electrics then level ceiling and board
Cut down top cupboard to fit
Chase walls for concealing heating pipes to towel rail and new shower mixer
To foam fill these chases to allow expansion
First fix pipe work for other fittings (bath to be reversed)
Box pipe work behind wc, basin and at high level by door
Level floor and latex to accept new tiles
To plaster walls and ceiling
to fit bath with new taps
to tile floor
to fit bath panel and tile
to tile walls in bath area full height
to fit wc, basin, shower mixer, shower screen and towel rail
to fit skirting
to decorate
to fit any bathroom fittings
to add an inhibiter to heating system water on refill
to remove all redundant material from site

£4200 + vat

We did ask whether we'd save a significant amount by ripping out the existing bathroom and tiling ourselves, but he didn't seem to think it would make much difference. He comes highly recommended and reckons on it being a 10-day job for 2 men.

Thanks for any advice!
LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    No you wont save much by ripping the old out yourself - perhaps £ 150 - £ 200. Tiling should be iro £450 - £ 500 but if you've not done it yourself before now then don't.

On the face of it it looks somewhere between £500 and £ 1k high but that may be accounted for by the two man operation and don't forget he's seen the job - I haven't. I agree about 10 days but you can't have 2 men working full time in a 3 x 2 space. They get in one anothers way. Now if its two men based on 1 man doing the majority of the work but subbing out the plastering (I'm carp at plastering so always use a tame spread) and/or the leccy bits then fair do's for a "2 man job". But I always stay out of the way whilst the other guy is doing his bit.

I'd suggest get in two more to quote you for the job and then see how they all compare.

HTH

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • poddle911
    poddle911 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks v much for the feedback - they are a father and son team who cover all the plumbing and electrics, tiling and decorating between them.

The good news is that we're going to pay £4000 all in, so I'm pretty happy with that.

We're also having some other bits done - replastering wall, removing door and filling in doorway, adding some shelves and boxing in central heating pipes down hall - for £355 (quoted on the basis that we would do the bathroom first) which sounds good too. Very excited!
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family