Credit Resource Solutions Ltd. Scam?

Options
Hi there, apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but here goes..

I've just received a letter from above mentioned company stating that they have been instructed by their client to attend the property prior to legal proceedings.

All very strange and unexpected, a few things to note

I rent the property (a furnished flat) through a letting agent.

The letter was addressed to "Council Tax Payer", not me in person and I'm not mentioned specifically, neither is the landlord (who I've never met, although I do forward his mail).

The letter also says "this issue may relate to equipment that remains the property of our client which you may wish to return".

I'm pretty sure I don't have any outstanding debts.

So, is this a scam? Has anyone seen this before? What should I do? Ignore it, contact them, report them to Trading Standards/OFT etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't call them. If you Google them, you'll find them a pretty dodgy outfit all round.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • Lillywhite75
    Options
    Hi tildephi,

I received the exact same letter yesterday, addressed to 'Council Tax Payer' and I'm equally mystified. My council tax is up to date as are my other utility bills. I moved into my rented flat a little over four months ago. There is also an identical letter addressed to a prior tenant of my flat which arrived a few days ago, so my best guess in both cases is that a prior tenant has defaulted and the letter I received is a phishing attempt on the part of CRS.

The advice I got was firstly, don't call them. Once they get any personal details they won't stop harassing you to pay the debt, irrespective of whether its yours or not.

The other thing someone suggested was complaining to trading standards, as by sending a letter of this kind to a non-specified person is against government guidelines. I'm not allowed to post links here as a newbie, but if you Google 'debt collection guidance fair trading' the full document should come up.

I complained via the Consumer Direct website. I don't know how much they can do, but if they receive enough complaints, they may investigate.

For now, I've decided to ignore any further letters unless they're specifically addressed to me, and also tell my managing agents what's going on.

Good luck with it...I'd be interested to hear if you get any more letters from them.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options

The other thing someone suggested was complaining to trading standards, as by sending a letter of this kind to a non-specified person is against government guidelines. I'm not allowed to post links here as a newbie, but if you Google 'debt collection guidance fair trading' the full document should come up.
    This, I think http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/cca/debt-collection
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Lillywhite75
    Options
    That's the one. Thanks!
  • tbourner
    tbourner Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    Any letters we get addressed to 'occupier' or 'xyz payer' just go in the bin, if they don't know me it's not my debt! :D
    Trev. Having an out-of-money experience!
    C'MON! Let's get this debt sorted!!
  • s3sko
    s3sko Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    My son received aletter, addressed to him stating they have been instructed to iollect money on behalf of Lending stream. He has no recollection of such a debt, it apparently dates back to June 2010. This is the very first communication about it. However he was in trouble financially around this time. Credit Resource have told hime to write asking for full details enclosing a £1.00. Not sure if we should trust them ?
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, don't trust them. If you would like to start your own thread, there is a sticky that tells you how, and you might get more advice with a new thread.

But basically, no, don't trust them. You don't have to pay to get info from someone chasing you at this stage.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    s3sko wrote: »
    My son received aletter, addressed to him stating they have been instructed to iollect money on behalf of Lending stream. He has no recollection of such a debt, it apparently dates back to June 2010. This is the very first communication about it. However he was in trouble financially around this time. Credit Resource have told hime to write asking for full details enclosing a £1.00. Not sure if we should trust them ?
    It is a try on. Basically, if you pay £1, without being specific as to what the £1 is for, they will apply it to the debt, which resets the clock for the debt going statute barred. And lets face it, when they take him to court in 2016, even if he did actually write "I enclose £1 as your fee for providing details of the debt you claim I owe", he won't have his copy of the letter.

If anyone alleges that you owe a debt, then never send money until they have proved the debt.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DVardysShadow
    Options
    LMDOG wrote: »
    As per the CCA (Consumer Credit Act) of 1974, you are legally obliged to send in your request in writing alongside a payment of £1.00 which covers the admin costs of obtaining these documents.

(Just to make you aware - your son will have had one sent to his e-mail inbox when originally taking out the loan with the company stated).

Hope this helps,
    Who pays your keep?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure