We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Buying house with no planning permission...help
I am a first time buyer and found a beautiful house , after weeks of negotiations, my offer was accepted. Subsequently, i had trouble sorting my mortgage and after a couple of months , finally mortgage was granted. We are almost ready to exchange the contracts but solicitor pointed out that , there was no planning permission or buiding regulation for the loft conversion which comprises of 2 bedrooms and a shower room. It was not the seller who did the conversion, it was there before he bought in 2005 but he himself is not aware when it was built.But he has taken an indemnity insurance to protect from any future enforcement and hence my solicitor pointed out that it should be alright to go ahead with the sale.
But, i have my doubts, as I read that I am not covered by indemnity insurance for structural defects or shoddy workmanship and hence I asked seller for a structural survey done for the loft conversion to make sure it is of not bad standards but he refused. Previously, i opted for home buyers report and it came out clean but the surveyor pointed out that loft conversion is not inspected but cosmetically looks in good shape.
I decided to go for a structural survey for loft conversion with my own costs for my peace of mind but the seller is threatening to pull out if I dont reach a decision by Monday. It took some time to sort my mortgage, and I can understand his frustration, but I have to decide now whether to take it or leave it.
Am I stressing too much, any advise greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Raj
Comments
-
Personally I'd cut my losses and run fast..............
If there is no PP and it is not likely to be granted, you could / would be made to take it down at your expense......Breast Cancer 100 miles Oct 22 100/100miles
D-Day 80km June 24 80/80km (10.06.24)
Diabetic UK 1m steps July 24 to end Sept 24. 1,001,066/ 1,000,000 (20.09.24)
Breast Cancer Now 100 miles 1st May 2025 (18.05.25)
Diabetic UK 1 million steps July 2025 to Sept 25. 1,006,489 / 1,000,000 (10.09.25)
Breast Cancer 100 miles Oct 2025 100/100 (12.10.25 all done)
Tommy 10,000 steps challenge. 1st Nov 25 for 30 days .
Diabetic UK 1 million steps July 2026 to Sept 26. 1,002,786 / 1,000,000 (13.09.26)0 -
And if he goes ahead, puts it back on the market, the next prospective purchaser will have the same problem, so further delays in selling!!
Don't be rushed into a decision which may be an expensive mistake and one you could live to regret. Always be suspicious when people try to pressurise you into a quick decision, especially where there is a potential problem. With loft conversions the joists often aren't strong enough to support the floor and usually steel beams are needed for reinforcement.If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales0 -
Tell him your decision is that you are having a structural survey done on the loft conversion.
If he doesn't like it, yes he can withdraw from the sale but as he is pushing you to make a decision to my mind it means he wants the house sold. Unless he already has another buyer lined up ready to go who isn't concerned about the loft conversion, it very much sounds like he is trying to scare / bully you into proceeding before you are happy. Ignore it. He is unlikely to want to go back to marketing the property and finding another buyer especially as he'll have to go through all this again.0 -
Have a structural survey or reduce your offer to take account of the possibly unuseable loft conversion. There is a risk that fire regs have not been adhered to, even a risk the ceiling or roof could cave in due to the structure not being reinforced.Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️0
-
Thanks for your advise.
But, how is the indemnity insurance is likely to help me. I read from the forums as the conversion was made more than 6 years ago , I am immune from any action by the council. My solicitor is saying that as neither the home buyers report nor the mortgage lender's valuation reported problems or raised any objection to it, I shouldn't be too worried but I might face similar problem when it comes to resale which is the only risk I am taking.
But, if the seller really pulls it out, then I will be loosing the valuation and solicitors fee which comes to £1500 and will have to spend this again on a new house. Also my mortgage was approved after great difficulty where every bank refused but one. So I am really in tricky situation.
Also, I was told that any structural survey is going to come with some problems anyway as survey would be with today's building standards. Is this true...
Thanks0 -
Take a builder around the house and ask if it has been done correctly? You might need to pay them for their time though
R0 -
I don't think the indemnity insurance is gonig to help you want so ever, I don't think it is worth the paper it is written on, why not ring the ins company and ask them?Breast Cancer 100 miles Oct 22 100/100miles
D-Day 80km June 24 80/80km (10.06.24)
Diabetic UK 1m steps July 24 to end Sept 24. 1,001,066/ 1,000,000 (20.09.24)
Breast Cancer Now 100 miles 1st May 2025 (18.05.25)
Diabetic UK 1 million steps July 2025 to Sept 25. 1,006,489 / 1,000,000 (10.09.25)
Breast Cancer 100 miles Oct 2025 100/100 (12.10.25 all done)
Tommy 10,000 steps challenge. 1st Nov 25 for 30 days .
Diabetic UK 1 million steps July 2026 to Sept 26. 1,002,786 / 1,000,000 (13.09.26)0 -
If the loft conversion was done before 2005 then it will be exempt from enforcement by the Planning Department, if it indeed needed planning permission in the first place.
Personally though I would be worried about the structural integrity of the conversion, if they are not done properly then they can be at risk of collapsing the roof, possibly taking the outside walls with it, and insufficient floor joists. If two bedrooms are in the roof then you are obviously going to be paying a lot of money for that extra space so you need to make sure that everything is ok before you buy.
Ok so the seller is threatening to pull out, which I very much doubt he will, he is just bullying you, and you may lose £1500 if he does, but how much will you lose if you find that the loft has not been done properly and you have to make that right, how much will you lose if this all comes up when you sell the house? I would go for the structural survey and find out for sure if it was done right, I would never mess with structural stuff it just isn't worth the risk.0 -
Thanks for your advise. I will insist on Monday that I have to have a structural survey done and as advised I cant see why the seller would be too foolish to put it back in the market.
But anyway,should the seller agree for a structural inspecction to be carried out, anyone knows if a structural engineer would be able to certify or atleast will be able to give a written confirmation that the extension is of (or not) to a reasonable standard so as to (or not) get a retrospective planning permission.0 -
If the loft conversion was done before 2005 then it will be exempt from enforcement by the Planning Department, [...]
Can you cite a reference? Does that only apply to breaches of planning permission rules, or compliance with building regulations also?I would go for the structural survey and find out for sure if it was done right
Agreed - there's really nothing to lose by doing so. If the vendor's reaction to the decision is to pull out then that would speak volumes.
Mathew0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

