Special Support Grant & Tuition Grant Question

I have just found out that I have got my loans and grants for September but I have been given a Special Support Grant instead of a Maintenance Grant. I can't claim any benefits as my earnings are too high (!) for benefits purposes but are nil for student support purposes. Can I still get a bursary from the college as I'm getting a Special Support Grant and not a Maintenance Grant? It's still the same amount, just called a different thing?

Also, am I right in thinking that low income new system students (mature, lone parent) should be entitled to some grant towards their tuition fees instead of the whole lot as a loan or did I dream that?

Any advice gratefully received.

Kate x

Comments

• U should apply to ur local LEA to see if u can get help with ur tuition fees. they should be able to tell u what financial help is available for u also u could speak to the universitys student finance department they should be able to tell u whats availabale for u and where to apply for things.

Sharon :)
  • As far as I know you will be able to get a loan of £3000 from the LEA regardless of status, to pay your tuition fees as an undergraduate.Following confirmation that you have enrolled and are attending the course this will be paid directly to your University by the SLC .
    You can also apply for a Maintenance loan to help with living expenses the amount you can have depends on your financial status ( means tested),if you qualify for the full amount you will be eligible to get a bursary from the uni which you will not have to repay, as each uni differs you need to contact the Welfare dept at your chosen uni to see what is available in your particular set of circumstances.Single parents or low income families may find more help is there for them re living expenses, but as stated at the beginning everyone will repay the tuition fees sometime in the future:
  • AddieH
    AddieH Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just found out that I have got my loans and grants for September but I have been given a Special Support Grant instead of a Maintenance Grant. I can't claim any benefits as my earnings are too high (!) for benefits purposes but are nil for student support purposes. Can I still get a bursary from the college as I'm getting a Special Support Grant and not a Maintenance Grant? It's still the same amount, just called a different thing?

Also, am I right in thinking that low income new system students (mature, lone parent) should be entitled to some grant towards their tuition fees instead of the whole lot as a loan or did I dream that?

Any advice gratefully received.

Kate x

Kate, you are receiving "Special Support Grant" instead of the maintenance grant the amount of money is similar, but there are two important differences presuming you are a lone parent this is why you are receiving it instead of the maintenance grant.

The first important difference is that it should be disregarded in the calculation of any "means-tested" benefits that you receive so should not on its own affect the amount of benefit you are entitled to as a lone parent.

The second important difference is that if you are receiving the full £2,700 Special Support Grant you can apply for a maintenance loan of up to £1,200 more than someone who is receiving the £2,700 maintenance grant.

There are no grants offset directly against fees for new system students, but if you haven't already I would suggest you investigate the Childcare Grant and the Parents' Learning Allowance.

Hope this helps.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It may be worth asking the college you intend to go to. They will want you to come and if they can get you to come and have someone else pay your fees they'll be happy to take the money. Everything comes down to money in the end. I would expect the college to know everything there is to know and would probably be best suited to advise you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure