CTF (Stakeholder) Best Freebies?

I have taken the decision to go for a standard Stakeholder CTF for the time being, and having had loads of stuff sent through to me and looking on here - they all seem very similar (i.e. they are all regulated by the Gov rules, and lets face it the risks are there whichever one I decide to go for) So I am thinking that I will just go with whichever provider/distributor offers the best/most useful goodies/freebies.
Can anyone let me know of what they have received for putting their voucher with various providers?
I know when I had my first child I went with the Natwest (more or less with the same thoughts) as they were offering £250 of money off vouchers if you set up a direct debit to add to the standard £250. However - once the vouchers came through I realised they were pretty worthless, included things like money off a hotel break for 2 adults (dont they realise that once you have kids that becomes a bit more difficult!!)

I did look on this website to see if there were any comparisons - but the info is mainly based around financial performance (quite rightly I guess if you really understand it - which I have to admit I dont!)

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So I am thinking that I will just go with whichever provider/distributor offers the best/most useful goodies/freebies.

Never buy an investment product based on gimmicks. This is an investment. It may be small but its going to be there 18 years and will get potential top ups. Look at the investment first and not the gimmick.

Just look at the quality of plans that offer gimmicks... AXA's "Carol Smilie" bonus saver, Sun Life Over 50s plan... Rubbish. That is how they can afford the gimmicks.

The only exception to that is if you were to use a CTF that is being "white labelled" and is being run by the Children's Mutual (which is a fair bulk of them). If you can get the CM's version of the CTF with gimmicks, then fair enough.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • thanks for that - you are no doubt right - oerhaps i should get a bit more clued up about the actual investment side of it. Not being great with that kind of thing, they all look pretty much the same to me............i really have no idea what is considered good in terms of investment. Can i ask you what "white labelled" means though please?
    thanks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can i ask you what "white labelled" means though please?

I knew you were going to ask that and I should have explained it.

An increasing trend with financial services products is for companies, such as insurance companies, banks, building socities and even IFAs, to offer products with their name and logo on but the actual product is run by someone else. The term basically came from the brochures that used to be issued which would all be the same except the name and address box in the "white label" area.

With CTFs, most of the stocks and shares versions are "white label" versions of the Childrens Mutual. In the early months, nearly every website offering the CTF had the Childrens Mutual template except for the banner at the top that replaced Childrens Mutual with their name. The sites were idential apart from that.

Indeed, many still are:

http://www.thechildrensmutual.co.uk/boots/default.aspx?page=3
    http://www.thechildrensmutual.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=6
    http://www.thechildrensmutual.co.uk/leedsbuildingsociety/default.aspx?page=11
    http://www.thechildrensmutual.co.uk/themelton/default.aspx?page=3

Play spot the difference.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Ah ha - now that you have explained it - that makes perfect sense and i know exactly what you are talking about. Having viewed many a website and requested info packs to be sent out - most of them were Childrens Mutual - just with different Brand names on the front of the booklets!!
    Thanks once again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport