Consumer Rights: Carpet Shading ???

Options
Can anyone tell me my rights

I purchased a self colour carpet 3 months ago, and when the carpet was first laid I noticed a slight difference in colour at certain times in the day or where you st in the room. I thought it would disappear when the carpet pile settled.

Now the carpet has been vacuumed several times the shading has become very obvious at any time.

I have been told by the shopkeeper (nicely) that this is tough luck and that neither they nor the manufacturer are liable as there is a shading disclaimer label on the reverse of the sample.

Is this tough luck, surely we can't be expected to pay hundreds of pounds for carpets which are shaded. ????

Comments

• stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vicky46 wrote: »

I purchased a self colour carpet 3 months ago, and when the carpet was first laid I noticed a slight difference in colour at certain times in the day or where you st in the room. I thought it would disappear when the carpet pile settled.

Now the carpet has been vacuumed several times the shading has become very obvious at any time.

I have been told by the shopkeeper (nicely) that this is tough luck and that neither they nor the manufacturer are liable as there is a shading disclaimer label on the reverse of the sample.

Is this tough luck, surely we can't be expected to pay hundreds of pounds for carpets which are shaded. ????

You will have a contract with the retailer. Does it say on the back that shading is acceptable? My guess is it will. If it doesn't you are quite within your rights to challenge the contract. As to whether a judge will find this acceptable in court - we'll never know, until you try!
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • Sandoval
    Sandoval Posts: 903 Forumite
    Options
    Vicky46 wrote: »
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you.

Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?
  • Vicky46
    Vicky46 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the reply Stebiz and from what you say it looks very much like tough luck unless I'm prepared to make a fight of it.

Sandoval, what are you saying, that it will mean a court battle and if I'm poor, I'll get a solicitor ?
    or is it meant to be a riddle ?
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Well according to this shading is a characteristic of a plush carpet and should be expected.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    Shading is a very well known issue with such carpets I am afraid, which is why they have a disclaimer. I doubt you will get anywhere with a complaint/court case.
  • 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Options
    poet123 wrote: »
    Shading is a very well known issue with such carpets I am afraid, which is why they have a disclaimer. I doubt you will get anywhere with a complaint/court case.

unless of course the carpet is severely shaded. There will be certain tolerances that are accepted and other that a judge wont(its very subjective so only a judge could say).

OP if you really really really think its quite extreme, then its worth paying for a report to take to the retailer and court if needs be but remember that if you lose you will have spent good money after bad, something to ponder.

Maybe some internet research and asking around other stores to see what is generally considered acceptable
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport